ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Acronis Saves the Day

<< < (2/4) > >>

tomos:
Long & short, I was able to pull out a backup from the Acronis non-stop backup.
-Renegade (July 17, 2011, 07:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

how that work?
I see from their features page:
> Note: requires working hard disk drive

Not quite sure what they mean be that  :-\  seeing as that's a basic requirement of all software. Maybe they mean a second HD?
Sounds good anyway, especially if it works...

iphigenie:
FWIW I have also had their Partition Manager hose my system on a number of occasions.
-Carol Haynes (July 17, 2011, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

10 points for not giving up!  :P

I've had that happen to me too.  :)
-nosh (July 17, 2011, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have hosed my system with partitioning tools a few times - different brands, hasty action.
Although nothing like what partition magic did, and to me, a user of pre version 1... some pieces of software have no loyalty :(

Acronis started going wrong when they totally split the home and entreprise products. I had pro, was shafted onto home, which lacked the feature I had paid pro for (reinstall on different hardware, which seems more likely a scenario in a home than corporate setting, imo, but they didnt see it that way)

40hz:
I never bothered much with PartitionMagic or other commercial partitioning products once I discovered gparted.

It's true the Win-specific utilities often do more on the Windows platform than gparted does. But I don't need those features so gparted (best when bundled with the FOSS Parted Magic OS suite) serves me quite well. PartedMagic OS also provides support for Linux partitioning and formatting - and Windows file rescue efforts - which is what I use it most for.

In general, once Windows goes south, I try to get the drive mounted under Linux and attempt repairs/recovery from there.

I've got shelves full of Windows tech tools and rescue disks. And I know how and when to use them. But I've often found trying to work on a clobbered Windows drive using anything that's Windows-based only compounds the problem if the drive is seriously "pooched." But maybe I'm just unlucky that way.  ;D Your mileage will likely vary from mine.

Be sure to check out Parted Magic OS. Cool tools! Highly recommended.  8)

Curt:
"Tomorrow", Thursday, July 21'st, $20 at Bits du Jour:

Acronis True Image Home 2011 (With Plus Pack Add-on) PC Software with a 75% off Discount Coupon Code - Easy Backup and Restore for Everyone

MerleOne:
Nice to know, thanks. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version