ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Annoying experience with non-pirated software

<< < (4/5) > >>

fenixproductions:
If your files go corrupt that often, aren't you worried about your HDD health? :-s-f0dder (July 31, 2011, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's not the case of "files corrupted that often".

Only Portal 2 has it this way:
1. integrity check = error
2. downloading fix
3. integrity check = OK
4. starting game
5. crash
6. goto 1

I have over 200GB of games on this partition and no other game has such issues. Even crappy F:NV doesn't show integrity errors (despite of CTDs).

Carol Haynes:
All I can say is I have 142 hours notched up with Portal 2 and the only problem I have had with it is the odd communication glitch in coop mode. The 142 hours also includes exploring dozens of 3rd party maps.

I suspect the problem must lie in your computer somewhere as it doesn't seem to be a widely reported issue on any of the support platforms.

Are you running security software while playing? Some security products can screw games up (I have read of a number of issues with other games with NOD32 in particular).

iphigenie:
by communication glitch she means not the software, but me  :Thmbsup:

actually we have had sound missing, at times (push to talk fixed that for me) and I have had 1 case of mysterious crashes on (3rd party) level load which were followed by having to run integrity fix (or caused by it, perhaps)

fenixproductions:
Are you running security software while playing? Some security products can screw games up (I have read of a number of issues with other games with NOD32 in particular).-Carol Haynes (August 01, 2011, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yep: Comodo package but I really doubt that's the cause. I have truly enough of blaming other apps. Dozen of games running perfectly well on the same machine without any issues - even Source Engine games like HL2, L4D or... Portal (first).

What is strange: L4D2 campaign called SuicideBlizz has some P2 elements as Easter Egg and they work OK.

I suspect the problem must lie in your computer somewhere as it doesn't seem to be a widely reported issue on any of the support platforms.-Carol Haynes
--- End quote ---
I classify this as:
Game crash after the loading screen

Carol Haynes:
The trouble with this sort of discussion is there could be any number of reasons for issues to occur and it is impossible to point to a definite answer.

I know I have been in a situation in the past (on many occasions) where something doesn't quite work the way it should and I have blamed the software for the problem and got very hot under the collar about it but it finally turned out that it wasn't the software at all but a glitch on my own system.

There are bound to be some glitches in any software but I still think the place to start is your own system. If the game code is continuously being corrupted something screwy is going on with your system (even if it is caused by Portal 2) or your internet connection is corrupting downloads. Portal 2 should not be writing to the code files at all except during updates - so what exactly is corrupting your files? If the symptom you describe is purely a Portal 2 issue there wouldn't be anyone playing the game because we would all experience the issue.

I'm not saying there isn't an external factor at work here but trying to run the program on a system not running other applications.

Some things I would try (and questions to consider):

1) Are you using RAID setup - especially software RAID? I had endless file corruption errors on my last RAID system which tuned out to be the Promise drivers at fault.
2) Disable all non-essential programs and services - at the very least run MSCONFIG and disable all startup items and all non-Microsoft services (except for graphics and sound related services) and see if that solves the problem.
3) Make sure all security applications are turned off - they are notorious for interfering with the running of games. OK other games may work fine with them running (and Portal 2 does fine on my system with Avast running). To be sure Comodo is not interfering it might even be worth uninstalling it temporarily (see https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289 for at least one issue described between Portal 2 and Comodo). Here is another thread where someone found Comodo causing P2 crashes: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847560&page=67
4) If you still have an issue try updating graphics and sound drivers to the latest version from the manufacturer's website - or if they are already up to date step back to the previous version.
5) Have you ever used a registry cleaner or 'system tuneup' tool? I have lost count of the number of computers with problems related to this sort of software. Unfortunately cause and effect with this sort of thing are often not immediate. I have seen computers work without error for weeks or even months before a problem 'removed' by a registry cleaner comes to bite the user in the backside. Of course they always blame the software they are using on the day of the error - never the 'cleanup' they did 6 weeks ago.

This is pretty basic troubleshooting.

Have a look at the following page:
http://gamecrashfixed.com/fixed-portal-2-crashes-ctd-crash-desktop-errors-blackscreen-freezes-no-sound-stuttering-nvidia-ati-intelhd-issues-no-steam-button-stopped-responding-launcher-spinning-bug-steam-cloud-save-problem/

which has lots of portal 2 crash solutions/suggestions.

Other people having Comodo/P2 issues (I'll keep looking and adding):
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1864585

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version