ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

BrowserID - Mozilla's solution to the password problem

<< < (3/6) > >>

cyberdiva:
The same way Firefox preserves your history, bookmarks or saved passwords, it will also preserve the file that deems the browser as authorized. On a clean installation, you can move that file to the new profile.
-Lashiec (July 16, 2011, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't store bookmarks or passwords on any browser, so I'm less familiar with how well Firefox manages this.  (I have a password manager and a bookmark manager that work with all my computers.) Be that as it may, since I currently use several computers and several browsers on each computer, having to make and keep each one validated for BrowserID sounds like more trouble than it's worth.  At least for me. 

Lashiec:
In addition to that, I expect Firefox Sync will backup the file to the cloud, so it will be synchronized across all your computers. And whenever other browsers adopt the system, their sync systems will do the same.

worstje:
Anything that makes it too easy to store and use my passwords with some service, I do not use. I use Keepass v2 right now and it works just great. Sure, it is a huge bother to stick the thing into my PC, and to type my master key... but it feels way more secure.

I have (some) control over my USB stick being stolen. I have the same control over where I plug it in, and what PCs I trust not to have keyloggers or other malware installed. However, I do not have control over the Cloud and their leaks and the big targets they make for 'hackers'. I feel similarly over biometric security: fingerpad scanners are technically very unsound, and matches are easy to create (for anyone with a bit of determination) so they can get access to whatever they want.

So yeah, I'm not trusting something as fickle as a browser that needs upgrading every week to protect my data. They are more interested in version numbers than a stable product, which speaks volumes by my book. :)

mahesh2k:
Flaw : Even if we use 'Do not Track' feature then using BrowserID will make geo-targeting/cookie behavior for ad networks simple. They don't even need IP of the computer because it is like SSN no matter where person moves he/she is identifiable for the advertising+browsing behavior based on browserID.  :down: I don't know if browserID expects personal information name/age/gender in their profiles or account but if they do then chances are there that the flaw which i mentioned is going to pop up in future.

justice:
Flaw : Even if we use 'Do not Track' feature then using BrowserID will make geo-targeting/cookie behavior for ad networks simple. They don't even need IP of the computer because it is like SSN no matter where person moves he/she is identifiable for the advertising+browsing behavior based on browserID.  :down: I don't know if browserID expects personal information name/age/gender in their profiles or account but if they do then chances are there that the flaw which i mentioned is going to pop up in future.
-mahesh2k (July 16, 2011, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not any simpler than the alternative where you sign in to the service after setting do not track.

BrowserID protects the privacy of your Web activity
With BrowserID, by design, your identity providers are not involved in the login transaction. This means they need not be aware of your entire Web activity, a significant privacy advantage. With OpenID, your identity provider is, unfortunately, a necessary participant in the login flow.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version