topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The False Positive and Improperly Rated Site Epidemic  (Read 44045 times)

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: The False Positive and Improperly Rated Site Epidemic
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2011, 01:35 AM »
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:52 AM by db90h »

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2011, 01:48 AM »
It is not 1996 anymore, the reality is every developer should have a cert. Sorry to be so harsh, just telling it like it is.
For free software?  Really?  And it's the person's fault?  I'd think that for software that doesn't make money, there would be an option that's doesn't incur a yearly cost.  And that's how it is IMO.

Well, it is DonationWare. In the end, you can debate with Microsoft if you want.  Or blame the malware authors. That's how it has been since Windows Vista. You can protest, protest, protest and I wish ya luck with it.

Throughout history there is the requirement that certain things be done to establish trust with consumers. This does sometimes means that the cost of goods produced is above 0, and thus must be sold for something other than 0..
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:45 AM by db90h »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2011, 08:09 AM »
I release as donationware on the offchance that someone decides to give something, more than with any expectation that this will happen.  Even though I get a lot of downloads, I've gotten very few donations.  Heck, I released as postcardware (without requiring a postcard even... just an e-mail) before finding this site and putting the donation part in there, and received exactly 3 e-mails.  If people won't send e-mails, why would they pay?

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2011, 02:44 AM »
I release as donationware on the offchance that someone decides to give something, more than with any expectation that this will happen.  Even though I get a lot of downloads, I've gotten very few donations.  Heck, I released as postcardware (without requiring a postcard even... just an e-mail) before finding this site and putting the donation part in there, and received exactly 3 e-mails.  If people won't send e-mails, why would they pay?

I know, I author a lot of freeware, that I ask for donations for too. Few donate. Better to just call it freeware, my mistake on that.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2011, 03:57 AM »
I would like to apologize again for sounding a little abrasive in my tone. Sometimes I do come off that way. Believe me when I say I am a big supporter of this site, and mouser. I was one of the first here, and have always supported this site and his endeavors -- and always will.