ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

InfoQube & TreeSheets: Information managers of the future

<< < (7/8) > >>

superboyac:
OK, I'm understanding something better now.  What is so unique about InfoQube is that the outlining is the primary feature.  All of these things (except treesheets) can be considered hierarchy style, 2-pane outliners or notetakers.  Most of these, including RightNote, organize your note titles in an OUTLINE on the side, but the main content is the guts of that note.  InfoQube does this very differently.  For InfoQube, the main content is the OUTLINE, and the stuff that goes inside each note is not as prominent (it would be the HTML pane).  In a sense, this makes InfoQube better because it has supercharged features for the outline part, while still retaining what most programs can do with the insides of the note.  For Rightnote, the outline is only the note titles, and there isn't much more you can do to it other than adding icons and moving it around the hierarchy.  In InfoQube, this outline has very powerful features, including multiple fields, and all sorts of relationships you can create about them.  That's why Armando always says he can store just about everything he needs to inside IQ.  It's very flexible with that outliner+html pane.  This is why I say IQ is the future.
In this screenshot, you can see Rightnote's traditional layout.  The green rectangle is highlighting the outline part where the note hierarchy is created.  This is very standard stuff.  Obviously, this is not where most of the program's power comes from.  The main part is the inside of each note, where the content is with all the great table features, and editing controls:

Now, pay attention to InfoQube.  The outline part that I indicated for above, is now a super duper deluxe outline.  You can add fields to it, checkboxes, automatic dates, pretty much whatever you want.  The power of InfoQube is here.  That's what makes it different:

So in my opinion, Infoqube has the most flexible and attractive set of options for general purpose notetaking (especially if you need to commit to one for a while), Rightnote has the UI elements absolutely nailed down.  We need a merger!!

rjbull:
All My Notes Organizer Pro looks like it's getting there.  But, Web clipping isn't yet streamlined, and the "Mind-Map view" is due to be implemented soon, i.e., it isn't in the full release yet...

Maybe a suggestion for a DC discount on Rightnote Pro? 

Armando:
OK, I'm understanding something better now.  What is so unique about InfoQube is that the outlining is the primary feature.  All of these things (except treesheets) can be considered hierarchy style, 2-pane outliners or notetakers.  Most of these, including RightNote, organize your note titles in an OUTLINE on the side, but the main content is the guts of that note.  InfoQube does this very differently.  For InfoQube, the main content is the OUTLINE, and the stuff that goes inside each note is not as prominent (it would be the HTML pane).
-superboyac (August 23, 2011, 10:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Usually the terminology used to differentiate these different systems is : one-pane, two-panes and hybrid. See the wikipedia article on outliners. But there can be also 3 panes outliners, and maybe others...

In any case there's this old post by Pierre where he describes all these different systems

In fact, InfoQube is pretty hybrid as you can use it as a 2 panes or a 1 pane, depending on your needs. I personally use it more a one pane outliner, but some users use the outline purely for structure and the HTML pane ("rich text" editor) for content -- that is also perfectly possible. I tend to use the HTML/"rich text" pane for external sources/web-clipping, and sometimes when I need complex formatting (tables, etc.); but I'm mostly working directly in the outline.

As Wikipedia correctly states, each system has its drawbacks and so going hybrid allows one to get the best of both world (depending on the task at hand).

There are not that many hybrid solutions out there. Of the top of my head : Ecco can be quite hybrid with an addon, then there's OmniOutliner for Mac and MyInfo. Probably others like MaxThink or org-mode, which are hard to classify. Anyway...  :)

superboyac:
Yes Armando, thanks for clarifying that.  I also use InfoQube primarily as a one-pane setup.  But the only reason I can do that is because InfoQube's outliner area is so flexible and powerful.  You can have all sorts of fields and relationships going on without even going to a second pane.  And, yes, the second is available if you need it, but like yourself, the better I get with IQ, the less I need the second pane.
I remember in the beginning I used the HTML pane a lot, but that outliner is just too powerful to avoid.  Actually, several times I've gone back and moved information from the HTML pane into a grid once I realized that I can modify the grid with special fields and other ideas I came up with.  I really like the idea of having it all in the grid.

oblivion:
All My Notes Organizer Pro looks like it's getting there.  But, Web clipping isn't yet streamlined, and the "Mind-Map view" is due to be implemented soon, i.e., it isn't in the full release yet...
-rjbull (August 24, 2011, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Looks good, though, and clearly under active development. (And there's a 35% discount on the full version right now, it appears.) I'm going to give it a try, so thanks for pointing it out!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version