topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2012 Release: Got Space?  (Read 119075 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Pledge & Early Beta: Got Space?
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2011, 01:50 PM »
To be honest, I've switched out some removable media since posting that screenshot, and am not sure what media was associated with F:  I'll do another SS momentarily and list the actual drives.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2011, 02:28 PM »
Interesting: my dad gave me an 8Gb thumb-drive that he'd said was "buggy".  I determined that it had the Conficker worm on it.  MSE quarantined it, and I was in the process of doing a long reformat on it just to be sure it's clean, when I launched your "GotSpace" application.  For the remaining duration of the reformat, GotSpace's listbox was blank (see first SS below).  I'd say this was for at least ten minutes.  Then, immediately upon the format completing, GotSpace's listbox populated nicely (see 2nd SS below).

The third and final SS below shows drive info, so that you can compare what Windows reports to what your application reports.  F, G, H, I, and N are unused drive letters, in that no physical drive is attached.  Although K shows identical information in GotSpace's various listbox columns, there actually is a physical drive associated with drive letter K: -- the formerly "buggy" 8Gb thumb-drive of my dad's.  Thus, it appears that there needs to be some way for GotSpace to differentiate empty-but-actually-attached drives from available-drive-letters-not-currently-being-used.

C: is my desktop PC's hard drive, of course, and D: is the recovery partition on it.  J: is the Western Digital MyBook external drive.  E: is my DVD drive.  K, L, and M are each physically-attached 8Gb thumb drives (K and M are empty, and L has a few files on it).

Hope this data helps!  Great app thus far.  It's in my frequently-used toolbox  :up:

gotspace2.png

gotspace3.png

gotspace4.png

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2011, 03:22 PM »
Okay, I'm having a bit of trouble replicating this one. Which may have something to do with the Conficker Factor (I'll come back to this in a minute).

One thing that stands out about your SSs is that the TimeStamp is the same in all of them...So I'm guessing a single launch/execution with auto-update disabled, yes?

I tried adding a few additional checks and launching GS mid-format to see if I could get it to hang. I even stopped a long format operation for the purpose of intentionally borking the partition to get it to trip. The partition was borked, Windows showed it has having no volume attached/associated ... But GS just called it a Zero and moved on. Which is perhaps both good and bad at the same time... *Shrug*

Now...
F, G, H, I, and N are unused drive letters, in that no physical drive is attached
Which is accomplished by... It's an SD/Flash Card Reader?? I could have zero space drives of type X just report as "Empty" instead of a string of zeros ... But I need to be sure of what I'm dealing with.

So... (Getting back to the "Conficker Factor") Can you reproduce this (App hang) without a secondary (MES - Yes I'm guessing this part) lock on the target drive?

Thank you,

Stoic Joker

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2011, 04:42 PM »
One thing that stands out about your SSs is that the TimeStamp is the same in all of them...So I'm guessing a single launch/execution with auto-update disabled, yes?

Good catch.  Yes, I did have Auto Refresh disabled.

Which is accomplished by... It's an SD/Flash Card Reader?? I could have zero space drives of type X just report as "Empty" instead of a string of zeros ... But I need to be sure of what I'm dealing with.

Yep.  Went back and checked (brand new computer, which I've had for 2 days), and those are flash readers that had no media in them.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2011, 08:07 AM »
Minor feature request to follow:

I copied the EXE to C:/Program Files (x86)/Stoic Joker/GotSpace/

That's just where I like it.

Trouble is, in that location, Windows 7 won't let me save options/preferences to a GotSpace.ini, because the program tries to create it in a Program Files subdirectory, which Windows 7 won't allow.  And I don't really want to use the registry (I'm one of those let's-leave-the-registry-alone pleople). 

Feature Request: could you add an option for the program to save preferences in C:\User\AppData\Roaming\StoicJoker\GotSpace\  ?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 08:25 AM »
I'm still working on/trying to replicate the format caused app hang bugg. But I can add it to the todo list.

I usually just reset permissions on the .ini file because I hate to have to go hunting for stuff. *Shrug* ...But I've also never been normal.

:D

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2011, 06:26 PM »
I usually just reset permissions on the .ini file

So I could have the EXE create the INI file while the EXE resides, say, on my desktop.  Then, copy both EXE and INI to a Program Files subdirectory, perhaps?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2011, 07:06 PM »
I usually just reset permissions on the .ini file

So I could have the EXE create the INI file while the EXE resides, say, on my desktop.  Then, copy both EXE and INI to a Program Files subdirectory, perhaps?

Sure, or just create a text file in the program directory named GotSpace.ini ... The key is the give yourself (and therefore GS) write access to the file. That way you can update it later without running into nagging permissions errors.

I'll still see what I can do about an AppData .ini Just to see if I can do it without breaking the programs intended behavior. But the idea was to be able to (semi-transparently) let the app have two independent sets of settings; home base (stored in registry), and portable (stored in the .ini) file.

At work I keep it in the top right hand corner if a 22" WS monitor.
At home I keep it in the top right hand corner of the right monitor (dual 17" monitors).
In the field I like it to use the default behavior of jumping to center screen so I can find it while dealing with random client equipment.

All of which I can do with the same ThumbDrive copy and its .ini because the registry super-cedes the .ini file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other front, I'm having zero luck trying to get this damn thing to hang (how's that for an odd complaint...). I set the auto update to 1 sec, and then left it running while running a series of formats on an old ThumbDrive. Added some extra test code to flag/catch a stumble ... Then sat there watching the statusbar update timestamp to see if it would freeze at any point.

Can you reproduce the behavior?? or is/was this a one-in-a-million fluke type bugg?

I wanna fix it, but I can't find the little mother :) er.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2011, 08:58 PM »
I haven't tried reproducing this behavior... yet.  But I was formatting a USB drive while the hang occurred, if that helps.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Hey, don't worry about implementing that feature request.  I'll just use what we've discussed to permit an INI file in Program Files subdir.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2011, 07:00 PM »
My how time slips away...

Finally got a few minutes to poke the GS project with a stick so I thought I'd update folks what I'm currently working on for the next build. So... comming soon (i hope...) ontext menu with three options:

Extended Information - Honestly not a clue what this will do, but it sounds cool Huh?
Open drive letter X: in Windows explorer - This will also be the default double-click option.
Edit drive label for drive X: - Obviously this will not work for Optical & SUBST drives but everything else has past the first batch of tests.

So that's the plan at the moment ... Suggestions welcome :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2011, 08:44 PM »
Suggestions welcome

On W7-64 my external USB drives show up as local (both USB 2 and 3).
How about a user-selectable exclusion by drive letter?

Context menu entry to eject drive?
Context menu entry to 'safely remove' drive?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 06:41 AM »
Suggestions welcome

On W7-64 my external USB drives show up as local (both USB 2 and 3).
How about a user-selectable exclusion by drive letter?

I had actually been toying with that, but wasn't sure if it was needed. Guess I'll delve into it a bit more then.

This one might get me into trouble as not all drives are ejected the same (USB vs. Optical vs. ?), but it's worth a shot. I was also thinking about adding mapping/disconnecting network drive options. But that's really getting close to the razor edge of the project scope. As initially this was only supposed to be a passive display utility. *Shrug* Oops. :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2011, 11:01 AM »

This one might get me into trouble as not all drives are ejected the same (USB vs. Optical vs. ?), but it's worth a shot. I was also thinking about adding mapping/disconnecting network drive options. But that's really getting close to the razor edge of the project scope. As initially this was only supposed to be a passive display utility. *Shrug* Oops. :)
They are only suggestions  :)
Had you not made it so effective you might have got away with passive only. (Make rod for Empire, Empire strikes back.)
Basically, being very, very lazy I'll use only one utility for this kind of thing. To make my hit parade it has to be a one-stop solution. Feel free to rain on my parade as hard as you like.

I assume you could lock out inappropriate actions for given drive types.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2011, 11:51 AM »

They are only suggestions  :)
Had you not made it so effective you might have got away with passive only. (Make rod for Empire, Empire strikes back.)

The Empire had a rod...? ...a Street Rod? I don't recall there being a death rod (death stick, maybe...) ...(has been a while since I've seen the movie, true...)... But I was thinking it was a sphere, or orb or something. Death Ball? No...That's not right. Death Cube?!? No, wait that was the borg. Shit, this is going to bugg me all day...

I assume you could lock out inappropriate actions for given drive types.

Me too except for the ones that defy definition, like external USB drives that insist on calling themselves local etc. But I think I can ballpark it cleanly enough to give it a shot ... We'll see what happens. ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2011, 08:49 PM »

Okay I'm going to stash this one here only, instead of in the normal First Post location. For now, drive type must be either Optical or Removable (We'll have to work out the "Local" USB drives part later) to show up on the context menu. Optical gets eject, and USB gets safe remove.

There is much not done-ness in this build ... but what is there works without crashing anything.

Interim Build Removed - Cleaner... - Latest now in first post of thread.

Let me know what you think and I'll go from there. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:48 PM by Stoic Joker »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2011, 01:32 PM »
I don't get a context menu.
Downloaded a couple of times to make sure nothing weird happened there.
I have context menus in all else.
I do have both optical and removable drives showing in the table.

Anyone else in my boat?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:35 PM by cranioscopical, Reason: Inconflabulation in gringe sprocket »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2011, 02:19 PM »
Anyone else in my boat?

no, for once things are going okay for me today (sorry)
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2011, 02:26 PM »
I don't get a context menu.
Downloaded a couple of times to make sure nothing weird happened there.
I have context menus in all else.
I do have both optical and removable drives showing in the table.

Anyone else in my boat?

That's interesting... You get no context menu (at all) for either the optical or removable drives, but the other drives show all one? I DL'ed it here at work and it's working fine. ...But obviously something ain't right.

Does GS freeze when you right click it? Or just do nothing.

If you double click on the free space column does it turn into a progress bar? (Test code I forgot to remove).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2011, 02:27 PM »
Anyone else in my boat?

So... It's working correctly for you then, yes??

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2011, 02:38 PM »
Anyone else in my boat?

So... It's working correctly for you then, yes??

damn, I spoke too soon.

DVD drive (with DVD) is not showing at all
Various removable drives showing, context menu works on them.
I successfully removed a usb drive via context menu.

~ with the build from your reply above
(win7 64bit - same as Chris I think)
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2011, 02:49 PM »
damn, I spoke too soon.

DVD drive (with DVD) is not showing at all

hehe ...Don't ya just hate when that happens...

But seriously, the DVD drive is not being shown/detected by GS at all? IIRC the optical drives are hidden by default so you may need to go into settings and un-hide them.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2011, 02:57 PM »
IIRC the optical drives are hidden by default so you may need to go into settings and un-hide them.

that's it - it's my first go at this  :up:
working, (also context menus working)
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2011, 03:09 PM »
IIRC the optical drives are hidden by default so you may need to go into settings and un-hide them.

that's it - it's my first go at this  :up:
working, (also context menus working)

Cool! Thanks for chiming in ... Now we just gotta get cranioscopical sorted out. :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2011, 04:46 PM »
Cool! Thanks for chiming in ... Now we just gotta get cranioscopical sorted out. :)

Hold on, I just found a different application with missing context menus.

GotSpace is working perfectly.

GS 'safely removed' my thumb drive and also ejected discs from the optical drives.

I had to use system restore to get back my context menu on GS and some other applications (though it was working perfectly well in most). My apologies if you wasted time on this SJ!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:17 PM by cranioscopical »