ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2012

NANY 2012 Release: Got Space?

<< < (16/25) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Cool! Thanks for chiming in ... Now we just gotta get cranioscopical sorted out. :)
-Stoic Joker (September 22, 2011, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hold on, I just found a different application with missing context menus.-cranioscopical (September 22, 2011, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

hehe ...Now that a special brand of weird. Menu eating gremlins ... eek!

GotSpace is working perfectly.

GS 'safely removed' my thumb drive and also ejected discs from the optical drives.-cranioscopical (September 22, 2011, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent! Now I just need to figure out how to handle the External USB drives that want to show up as local. I'm guessing that ejecting an actual internal local drive would be (Um...) bad... Should also be impossible, but bet taking I am not.

I had to use system restore to get back my context menu on GS and some other applications (though it was working perfectly well in most). My apologies if you wasted time on this SJ!-cranioscopical (September 22, 2011, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

That really is quite curious behavior. Glad you got it nailed down. Was no trouble at all on my end. :)

Now for the flakey intermittent stuff... *Sigh* I just wasted the better part of two weeks tracking down a brand new crashing Dell on a bug like that. Turned out to be a (banking security) browser plug-in that uses a slew of kernel hooks to "defend" the system ... Apparently it defends the system from the user by making the machine unusable given its ill behavior (Gotta love security theater).

Let me know what you think on the local USB drive thing (needed or ignorable).

cranioscopical:
Let me know what you think on the local USB drive thing (needed or ignorable).-Stoic Joker
--- End quote ---

It would be useful if all of these items could be gathered in one application.  Nothing should impede overall progress, though. Why not set it aside for later?

W7 gives some very quirky-seeming (to me) connections when it shows 'safely remove'. I'm left wondering, almost, if I'm about to eject my boot drive  ;D

Then there are the WD SCSI drives that are actually SATA (speaking of which, when searching for something else yesterday, I pulled out a bunch of old SCSI drives, including a Plextor CD drive.

Stoic Joker:
Let me know what you think on the local USB drive thing (needed or ignorable).-Stoic Joker
--- End quote ---

It would be useful if all of these items could be gathered in one application.  Nothing should impede overall progress, though. Why not set it aside for later?-cranioscopical (September 23, 2011, 11:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a thought, but I'm sort of in-the-thick-of-it now. So it's probably best to push on through as it's not going to get any clearer if I wait.

Last night I got the SUBSTitute drive creation function working. So now there is an option to create SUBST drives with a built in GUI. The delete SUBST drive context menu option will be next, but that'll have to wait for a bit as I'm working on the humane society's web site today.

W7 gives some very quirky-seeming (to me) connections when it shows 'safely remove'. I'm left wondering, almost, if I'm about to eject my boot drive  ;D-cranioscopical (September 23, 2011, 11:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes that would be the part I was worried about. While I know that the boot drive cannot actually be ejected ... I'm just not 100% warm-&-Fuzzy about the other drives that appear that way.

Then there are the WD SCSI drives that are actually SATA (speaking of which, when searching for something else yesterday, I pulled out a bunch of old SCSI drives, including a Plextor CD drive.-cranioscopical (September 23, 2011, 11:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Any device specific behavioral quirks you can let me know about are greatly appreciated.

I had actually been toying with adding a hotkey option (something like Shift + Right Click) that would add all drive/device options to the context menu at once to allow coverage for those pesky chimera drives.

cranioscopical:
While I know that the boot drive cannot actually be ejected ...
-Stoic Joker (September 24, 2011, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
You, sir, obviously have never seen me at work  ;D or do I mean  :-[

Personally, I'm glad that you're forging ahead with the external USB items. Here, those drives need the most attention, simply because they are swapped around so much.  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
While I had initially been a bit worried about how GS would behave during a disk burn, it has proven to be just fine. I've burned several CD & DVD over the past few days with GS running and updating every 3 seconds...And neither it nor the disks are any worse for wear (no lockups, hangs, or coasters).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version