ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Virtual cd/dvd drive software (2011)

(1/6) > >>

superboyac:
Every couple of years or so, it comes time for me to look into getting a different virtual cd/dvd software.  I used to always use Daemon tools lite, but at some point, it gave me problems.  Sometimes because of it's intrusive installation process, rebooting and all that.  it feels like it's installing in a more complicated way than necessary.  Then, it couldn't read certain images (this is years ago, to be fair).  So I moved to PowerISO's virtual drives, which I was happy with.  But that isn't free, so I eventually needed another one.  So I got Elby's Virtual Clone Drive.  I've been using it for a couple of weeks, and I find it not very stable.  It will often sort of disconnect the loaded image, even though it still shows it as mounted.  Then I remount it or reboot, and it works fine again.  but it's annoying.

Now, I'm going to try this free WinCDEmu, which may or may not be good.  If all these don't work, I'll go back to Daemon or PowerISO.

MilesAhead:
WinCDEmu is what I use.  Double click an .iso to mount. I can even use my Tray app.  When I "open" the CD tray for that drive, it unmounts it.  Neat. :)

superboyac:
WinCDEmu is what I use.  Double click an .iso to mount. I can even use my Tray app.  When I "open" the CD tray for that drive, it unmounts it.  Neat. :)

-MilesAhead (July 13, 2011, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Glad to hear.  I'm also happy with it so far (5 minutes using it!).  As long as it doesn't disconnect on bootup, or bug out, I'm fine.  I know Daemon is very reliable and all, but it has one of those installations that are very complicated and makes you wonder why such a little program has such an involved install/uninstall process.

worstje:
I use Virtual CloneDrive because Daemon Tools got way too bloated and adwarey for my tastes. All it has is rightclick the image to mount and a tray icon, and honestly - that's all one needs. :) It has the same eject-like functionality as MilesAhead describes above.

cmpm:
http://www.dvdfab.com/virtual-drive.htm

This one is free, maybe the answer.
I have not used it, but I have it anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version