Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 18, 2014, 04:43:48 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: I am so sick of google's search result urls with tracking info  (Read 10175 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 13, 2011, 02:51:18 PM »

Anyone know of a firefox or other addon to get rid of this garbage?

When i do a google search result the results LOOK normal, but if you try to copy the link you get something like:
http://www.google.com/url...D0z7CrLfm4ffQ&cad=rja

im really sick of this crap that makes it hard for me to copy and share links.

there has to be a firefox plugin to put a stop to this, and honestly it's more than a little bothersome that google insists on tracking every link i click in their search results.
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »

Have not tried any myself

http://www.makeuseof.com/...ts-google-search-results/
nosh
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »

This only seems to happen when you search via the main webpage. I use GoogleBar Lite (it's not the official Google toolbar) and get regular links. I think this may also be possible with other sites that serve as a frontend for Google's search engine.
allen
Charter Member

Powered by Beard

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »

DuckDuckGo has solved my problems with the declining quality of Google.
Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »

... and honestly it's more than a little bothersome that google insists on tracking everything I do!

FTFY

Personally, I always use Scroogle these days.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »

maybe this would help? - Getting rid of "Google Goo"

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  Now to pick one or more of these solutions..
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:49:36 PM »

I tried 3 greasemonkey scripts that failed:

• Google Search - Remove Redirection (v2.02)
  • Disable Google Search Result Redirect
  • Scrub Google Redirect Links

And then finally one that worked (thanks sri and Lashiec!):

Having said that, it's been strongly suggested to me that I simply stop using the google homepage to search from, and I think i will probably do that, and maybe start using duckduckgo or scroogle, or one of those.
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 12:14:09 AM »

...google insists on tracking every link i click in their search results.

This is why whenever you visit so many corporate sites, you see something different than I do. Amazon shows me different books based on my past clicks, thinking it can know my interests, but they're not helping me explore and find something new, they're just trying to guess what they think I already like. It's essentially corporate censorship of your corner of the web and while it's a great way for them to rake in the cash on the average Joe, they have no clue how strange I really am! It blows chunks.

- zaine (on Google+)
MilesAhead

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 12:27:58 AM »

I generally use Scroogle or AltaVista.  Although I notice when I do an AV search now it says Yahoo.  They bought them maybe?

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 12:48:12 AM »

Although I notice when I do an AV search now it says Yahoo.  They bought them maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltaVista

AltaVista is a web search engine owned by Yahoo!. AltaVista was once one of the most popular search engines but its popularity declined with the rise of Google. In 2010, Yahoo! announced that it plans to discontinue the site.
MilesAhead

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 01:51:16 AM »

Guess I may as well remove it from the list and go straight to yahoo. smiley

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 01:53:42 AM »

I generally use Scroogle or AltaVista.  Although I notice when I do an AV search now it says Yahoo.  They bought them maybe?

long ago if memory serves right, Yahoo used AltaVista's search index then they bought them outright when they bought AV's parent company Overture.

joiwind
Participant

carpe momentum

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 04:14:54 AM »

There is also Ixquick (which has been talked about here before I think) - it's fast, private and more easily configurable than Scroogle - I like it !

Read the About page for all details.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:04:05 AM by joiwind » Logged

.: I use K-Meleon - the browser you can control - but I love Pale Moon too :.
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 05:24:04 AM »

FWIW, with NoScript in FF, copying-and-pasting Google results seems to work here without "goo".

Also appears to apply for:

https://encrypted.google.com/

justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 05:41:52 AM »

And then finally one that worked (thanks sri and Lashiec!):
This script works perfectly in Google Chrome too.

urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 06:45:33 AM »

I'm using duckduckgo too, pretty happy.
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 06:55:35 AM »

+1 for DuckDuckGo.  Kiss

My second preference is ixquick.

These days I only use Google if I have to.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:59:45 AM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
allen
Charter Member