Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 22, 2014, 10:06:29 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DONE: Check folder and tell me which PDFs are images (non-searchable)  (Read 9809 times)
vevola
Charter Member

VeVoLa

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »

@skwire btw, are you going to post it on your software website?
skwire
Global Moderator

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »

No, I don't have plans to post this on my website as it's not really polished or, in some cases, all that accurate.

vevola
Charter Member

VeVoLa

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 09:39:31 AM »

Would it be possible to choose where to save the final txt files? Even better, would it be possible to open Explorer with those files highlighted? tia!

ps
would it help make the app better if i sent you some examples of false negatives?
skwire
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »

Would it be possible to choose where to save the final txt files? Even better, would it be possible to open Explorer with those files highlighted? tia!

Sure, it's possible.

would it help make the app better if i sent you some examples of false negatives?

No, because a false positive still contains text.  What I mean is...where does one draw the line as to what constitutes good text versus bad text?  You can get into all sorts of algorithms that attempt to do this but I think it's overkill for this utility. 

vevola
Charter Member

VeVoLa

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »

You say it's not a polished app, I say it does what I asked for! smiley

It would be nice to choose where to save the final results for example, and maybe even keep a record of which files have already been scanned (maybe by having the app look only at files after the soonest modified file from the previous scan - dunno if that makes sense) and just update the results file. Having the possibility to exclude somehow those false-positives from the scan I think would be nice too.

But like I said, it's usable this way, at least for me and Suntsu!

If you ever come to Germany, look me up!

IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »

@vevola: You might be interested in this.
I see you use Foxit and the "reference management" programme Mendeley Desktop.
I have recently started using another reference management programme called Qiqqa, having tried Zotero and Mendelay - I found the latter two did not meet my requirements.

I was blown away by Qiqqa though - it scans and indexes text-searchable PDF files and PDF files containing images - i.e., it OCRs any text in the images in the PDF files. I let Qiqqa loose on my library of about 650 PDF documents, and left it scanning and indexing the lot overnight.
It successfully OCRed and indexed all the imaged PDF files too. It seems quite intuitive to use and has lots of good features.

There's a good list and comparison of "reference management software" here: Comparison of reference management software

On the Qiqqa website, there is a good comparison between Qiqqa, EndNote, Zotero, and Mendelay, :  Qiqqa Features
The OCR capability stands out as a strength for Qiqqa.
vevola
Charter Member

VeVoLa

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »

@vevola: You might be interested in this.
I see you use Foxit and the "reference management" programme Mendeley Desktop.
I have recently started using another reference management programme called Qiqqa, having tried Zotero and Mendelay - I found the latter two did not meet my requirements.

Thanks! I'll try it out!
skwire
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »

Nice find, IainB.  Thanks for sharing.

vevola
Charter Member

VeVoLa

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »

@IainB
Yikes! I've been playing around with Qiqqa, but there seems to be a lot of glitches! It's uploading papers even when I asked not to, there's no way to stop any type of operation, and well... I think I'm sticking to Mendeley and skwire's app!

BTW, @skwire I donated some $$ to you. It's not a lot, just a symbolic gesture. I encourage others to donate to coders as well! Thanks!
skwire
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »

BTW, @skwire I donated some $$ to you. It's not a lot, just a symbolic gesture. I encourage others to donate to coders as well! Thanks!

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.   cheesy

stisev
Participant

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 03:13:59 AM »

Holy shit. I was just looking for this app.
skwire strikes again cheesy
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.032s | Server load: 0.18 ]