ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Check folder and tell me which PDFs are images (non-searchable)

<< < (2/8) > >>

bob99:
I have a huge number of PDFs, and often I perform text searches across my collection. -vevola (July 13, 2011, 02:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure if I'm asking this right...
Are you searching inside each of the individual PDF's in the collection one file at a time or able to search all of them start to finish? Without manually opening each file individually, searching it, opening the next, searching, and so on.

If it's all at once (automatically one after the other) what are you using to do this?

vevola:
I use two programs for viewing and handling PDFs. One is a simple viewer and annotator (Foxit), and here you can search for a word or a phrase in a single PDF or all PDFs in a Folder. The other is called Mendeley Desktop, which is more of an "iTunes for PDFs" (made for academia).

But if a PDF is an image, obviously it won't show up in the results. If I have a list, I could OCR and convert them.

So, no, I don't have to open each file one at a time to perform a search. Both programs do an indexing of the texts of the collections.

bob99:

Son of a gun.  It's something I can do in PDF-XChange also.  Just never thought about it.  Most of the time I know which PDF/manual I need to go to for reference.  Occasionally though, knowing I can do this will be helpful. 
Good luck with your request. Didn't mean to go off topic.

vevola:
I know how it feels, no worries, and thanks!

skwire:
Here's a test application to try:  PDF Text Checker

This is a native AHK solution and it, currently, doesn't work as well as I'd like.  Basically, what is does is look for the hex equivalent of "FontName" within the file.  If it's found, that PDF is definitely searchable.  The problem comes in when it's NOT found.  I have some PDFs that don't have that string but are still searchable.  Anyway, give it a shot.

* Download, extract and run PDFTextChecker.exe.
* You will be presented with the standard folder selection dialog asking for your PDF source folder.
* You will then be asked if you want the application to search sub-directories as well.
* Scanning will take time but you can check which file it's on by hovering over the tray icon.
* Another message box will alert you as to when it's finished.
* Two text files will be generated in your chosen folder:  !Searchable.txt and !Not_Searchable.txt
If the results aren't satisfactory, I may have to approach this in a different manner and use a PDF-to-Text type of application to determine if a PDF has any searchable text.  At any rate, let me know how this works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version