topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: Check folder and tell me which PDFs are images (non-searchable)  (Read 31426 times)

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@skwire btw, are you going to post it on your software website?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No, I don't have plans to post this on my website as it's not really polished or, in some cases, all that accurate.

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Would it be possible to choose where to save the final txt files? Even better, would it be possible to open Explorer with those files highlighted? tia!

ps
would it help make the app better if i sent you some examples of false negatives?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Would it be possible to choose where to save the final txt files? Even better, would it be possible to open Explorer with those files highlighted? tia!

Sure, it's possible.

would it help make the app better if i sent you some examples of false negatives?

No, because a false positive still contains text.  What I mean is...where does one draw the line as to what constitutes good text versus bad text?  You can get into all sorts of algorithms that attempt to do this but I think it's overkill for this utility. 

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You say it's not a polished app, I say it does what I asked for! :)

It would be nice to choose where to save the final results for example, and maybe even keep a record of which files have already been scanned (maybe by having the app look only at files after the soonest modified file from the previous scan - dunno if that makes sense) and just update the results file. Having the possibility to exclude somehow those false-positives from the scan I think would be nice too.

But like I said, it's usable this way, at least for me and Suntsu!

If you ever come to Germany, look me up!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
@vevola: You might be interested in this.
I see you use Foxit and the "reference management" programme Mendeley Desktop.
I have recently started using another reference management programme called Qiqqa, having tried Zotero and Mendelay - I found the latter two did not meet my requirements.

I was blown away by Qiqqa though - it scans and indexes text-searchable PDF files and PDF files containing images - i.e., it OCRs any text in the images in the PDF files. I let Qiqqa loose on my library of about 650 PDF documents, and left it scanning and indexing the lot overnight.
It successfully OCRed and indexed all the imaged PDF files too. It seems quite intuitive to use and has lots of good features.

There's a good list and comparison of "reference management software" here: Comparison of reference management software

On the Qiqqa website, there is a good comparison between Qiqqa, EndNote, Zotero, and Mendelay, :  Qiqqa Features
The OCR capability stands out as a strength for Qiqqa.

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@vevola: You might be interested in this.
I see you use Foxit and the "reference management" programme Mendeley Desktop.
I have recently started using another reference management programme called Qiqqa, having tried Zotero and Mendelay - I found the latter two did not meet my requirements.

Thanks! I'll try it out!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice find, IainB.  Thanks for sharing.

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@IainB
Yikes! I've been playing around with Qiqqa, but there seems to be a lot of glitches! It's uploading papers even when I asked not to, there's no way to stop any type of operation, and well... I think I'm sticking to Mendeley and skwire's app!

BTW, @skwire I donated some $$ to you. It's not a lot, just a symbolic gesture. I encourage others to donate to coders as well! Thanks!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BTW, @skwire I donated some $$ to you. It's not a lot, just a symbolic gesture. I encourage others to donate to coders as well! Thanks!

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.   :D

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Check folder and tell me which PDFs are images (non-searchable)
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 03:13 AM »
Holy shit. I was just looking for this app.
skwire strikes again :D