topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Grid Layout software? Does it exist?  (Read 8295 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Grid Layout software? Does it exist?
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:55 AM »
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows about grid layout software?  Not specifically for the purposes of website design or anything web related, just a general layout tool.  Meaning, I'm looking for a windows standalone program.  It's something that Excel can do, but I wanted to know if there's something designed specifically for this.

Grid layout, as I imagine it, would allow me to create a layout governed by merging and splitting cells.  It's a really cool way to lay things out, and it's sort of how my mind naturally works.  I know Excel can do this, but it's not truly meant for it.  Thoughts?

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Grid Layout software? Does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:09 PM »
Treesheets allow grid format, merging of cells for notes. I hope i got your question right.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Treesheets allow grid format, merging of cells for notes. I hope i got your question right.
Yeah, I thought Treesheets would be the answer initially also.  But while it's great for outlining, it can't do grid layouts at the moment.  Grid layouts would mean being able to merge and split cells in a pure, direct manner.  Treesheets is still all about hierarchies and nesting, more so that merging and splitting.  I still think it can do the job, but not as easily as I'd like.  But yeah, I think it comes closest.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 03:44 AM »
any software that does tables? html editors, word etc?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:26 AM »
I think mahesh2k is right.  Treesheets does this pretty much.  I have a couple of extremely minor issues with it, but nothing significant.  It's going to be really interesting to see how this software develops.  It's definitely being developed at a "hobby" pace, which makes sense, I'm sure not too many people are terribly interested in it.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 02:27 PM »
I'm sure not too many people are terribly interested in it.

That one's new to me -- and I'm definitely interested. I've never found a good planning tool that worked the way my mind does. Not sure this is it but it looks like it's well worth a try -- so thanks, Mahesh2k!
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 02:40 PM »
I'm sure not too many people are terribly interested in it.

That one's new to me -- and I'm definitely interested. I've never found a good planning tool that worked the way my mind does. Not sure this is it but it looks like it's well worth a try -- so thanks, Mahesh2k!
I felt the same way when I saw it.  It really has something great going on.  Another awesome thing about it is how small, fast, responsive it is.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Guys!  Check this out!
http://balsamiq.com/products/mockups

It's pretty amazing.  You can essentially create a mock application quite easily.  This might be very important for me.  I always have software ideas, but not being a programmer, it's difficult for me to accurately explain my vision.  This would be awesome for that.  I'm probably going to use it for coding snack ideas...

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 07:47 PM »
That looks nice, might try it myself as well. Nice find.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 04:58 AM »
Guys!  Check this out!

For more discussion on this, check this thread from way back: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=15868.0

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 05:11 AM »
Guys!  Check this out!

It's pretty amazing.  You can essentially create a mock application quite easily.  This might be very important for me.  I always have software ideas, but not being a programmer, it's difficult for me to accurately explain my vision.  This would be awesome for that.  I'm probably going to use it for coding snack ideas...

This was one of the USP's of Delphi, back in the days. Throw together a UI working with the 'customer', add some (semi)working code, and give a nice demo.

And now MS is doing it 'all over again' with Visual Studio Lightswitch, it seems

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 02:10 PM »
This was one of the USP's of Delphi, back in the days. Throw together a UI working with the 'customer', add some (semi)working code, and give a nice demo.

As a former delphi coder and advocate even, I'd have to disagree.  Though you could throw things together with little code, you did need it.

This is more like FoxPro or PowerBuilder's territory it seems to me.  And Lightswitch seems an extension of the capabilities of Expression Blend.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Guys!  Check this out!

saw this today and thought it may be of interest - Wireframe Sketcher

probably not that different to Balsamiq's offering, but they offer a standalone version which may be preferable

and if you're wanting to do mockups you could also try Smart Gui Creator (comes with AHK) or even the form build in VBA (if you're an MS Office user).  Both of these are WYSIWYG

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Here's a list at Specky Boy from about a year and a half ago.  Looks like most of them are online apps, but Denim is a desktop app and looks interesting.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)