topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: USB Drive shows Write Delay error  (Read 4887 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
USB Drive shows Write Delay error
« on: July 11, 2011, 02:51 PM »

Hello their,,,i have 8 GB pendrive which is hardly 5 months old. When i use this on one of my friends PC, in the processing of copyimg and pasting especially only during copying something from his PC, the Win copy bar get stuck at 1/6th of the process of completion, however if i use the same pendrive in his other PC, it doesn't show anything of sort.

I am assuming that his main PC is infected badly, once i had to reformat my external disc (after inserting in his PC)  and restore my backup because of his infected PC i had to format my PC . However if i copy 3-4 BG sometime even 6-7 GB at one go: of video/songs data : it doesn't get stuck or show Write Delay error

Some i am assuming that it has got to be his PC, that is showing its bugginess.

Any suggestion from any person who went through this .

PS: i already checked the Properties /Change Settings/and then the Policies and Quick Removal[/b] is selected as default.

Enable write caching is disabled.

ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: USB Drive shows Write Delay error
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:20 PM »
Most likely culprit is either a malware infection or a problem with his system's USB root hub(s).

The first is relatively easy, if tedious, to fix. You'd need to run multiple scans using more than one antimalware utility to be reasonably assured you got his machine clean. Better would be to do a clean OS reinstall if he's seriously infected. (Tell him to be a little more careful where's he's visiting - and a lot more careful where he's getting his files from next time.)

A USB root hub issue is a little harder to deal with. You'd need to clean out all the USB mass storage drivers with something like GhostBuster or a similar utility. Then add the devices back one by one and let them reinstall themselves.

If it really is a USB issue, that should fix it..

Right now, I'd be more inclined to put money on malware causing the problem for his machine. Especially in the wake of some of what you've told us about it.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 03:25 PM »
What's the OS?

Does it also happen with his internal HDDs?

Delayed Write Fails are also caused by hardware faults, ie. cabling and connectors.

With USB ports, it can be:
a) For motherboard mounted rear ports, generally the contacts in the ports have lost sufficient contact tension.
b) For front mounted ports on the case, it can be the contacts in the port itself, the cable to the motherboard, or the contacts in the motherboard connector.

Have you tried another port?

The USB driver can also be playing up or conflict between USB devices, (I have the same problem between a 3G dongle and any USB storage device).

Does it happen with any of his USB storage devices, (assuming he has any)?

And 40hz beat me to mentioning GhostBuster.

@40hz: not too sure about the malware side, I'd expect the internal HDD to get hit quite often if that was the case.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 03:42 PM »
@40hz:[/b] not too sure about the malware side, I'd expect the internal HDD to get hit quite often if that was the case.

@4wd - My initial thought too. But if he has something that didn't quite install properly (and many a piece of malware doesn't) you'll get these weird disk and other IO problems. Used to drive me nuts with some of my clients until I started looking for it.

Plus, he was seriously infected previously. And there was mention of 6-7 Gb file transfers - which leads me to think of movie/game DVD files - and where a lot of them get downloaded from. So...

But you're right. The other things you mentioned are equally valid and just as (if not more) likely than malware.

Call it a hunch on my part. ;D

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15 AM »
  Thank you, all for lending your ears : Today i tried using my 4 GB Transcend Pendrive (3  WEEKS OLD) and it still has  the same problem.

So i hasd to  use a CD to burn those media file. He has Win xp sp3, he is using AVG for Security,,,,Its strange when the pendrive is inserted in other PC'S it doesn't show anything. :-\

Yes i agree it could be a nasty Malwar : can you suggest some solution to remove this error.  I could use Combofix, i can't detemine when i use Hijack This, just by looking in logs.

SO is their any solution, sorry for being hasty. Any suggestion greatly welcomed. :)
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:21 AM »
does the error occur while you are trying to write data to it or when you remove the thumbdrive?

it is interesting that the error is only occuring on one pc.

i very much doubt it's malware.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:26 AM »
I don't think the PC would be powering down those devices during transfer but just for the heck of it, go to device manager and make sure power management is disabled for that USB root hub.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:09 PM »
Oooo ...are you using either Catalyst or nForce drivers on your machine?