ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can I alter an exe's File Description?

<< < (2/3) > >>

nosh:
And your edit wasn't there when I posted my last post. We're going in circles here. :D

J-Mac:
OK, I give up first!   :-[

Jim

Curt:
Instinctively, certainly not by knowledge, I say this must be a matter of altering the particular executive file, (named "imagecommander3D.exe"), not the Operating System's registry. Because this computer has been visited by more than a thousand programs, but no other program has been giving me this problem - they all show up displaying their normal name only. But of course, only a relative few was ever used via "Open with..." or similar.

32-bits Vista Home Premium.

Curt:
Nirsoft to the rescue: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/muicache_view.html
-nosh (July 10, 2011, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
:up:

Oh, why did I absolutely have to post my rubbish before testing if the advices were right?! Thank you, nosh and J-Mac; you were right! Problem solved :-)

nosh:
Windows does pick up that string from the .exe so you weren't entirely wrong. The program already had an entry in your registry, so if you modified the exe you'd have to locate and delete the existing entry and then do an... open with... browse to exe... before the modified string would come into effect.

You can use a resource editor like Resedit to take a peek inside your exe, if you're curious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version