ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

recommend backup soft?

<< < (5/5)

J-Mac:
It's a relief to have the thing automated and out of the way.
-nosh (July 09, 2011, 01:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

My only problem with full automation is that I get very, VERY complacent and stop double-checking it now and again. Then something accidently or mysteriously gets deleted or disappears from my PC and when I finally check my backups I see that it stopped doing everything correctly and then I throw myself on the floor and start screaming, scares the dogs and... well...  you get the picture!   :-[

Jim

nosh:
I know where you're coming from! :)

I've enabled an email notification in Acronis that triggers on failure. There are still a lot of things that could go wrong... I suppose I could get notified of mirroring failure using a command line mailer or something but you've got to draw the line somewhere. Easier just setting an alarm.  :P

kyrathaba:
I just found Duplicati, which is free, works on Linux/Windows, and purports to offer the following:

Duplicati has a very user friendly interface that allows you to configure and monitor your backups. It supports backing up to a variety of destinations:

* A network folder
    * An USB Disk
    * A remote server using FTP
    * A remote server using encrypted SSH
    * A remote server using WEBDAV
    * Amazon S3 storage
    * CloudFiles
    * Tahoe-LAFS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version