ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Real SciFi Technology - a 3D-Replicator

<< < (2/3) > >>

nudone:
Yep, amazing.

Any idea on the cost?

40hz:
I was just thinking...now that it's possible to exactly scan and copy a physical object...what sort of patent or copyright legislation are manufacturers going to start demanding to protect reality from Replicator Pirates?

Can't wait to see the asinine laws and hordes of lawyers this technology is also going to create once it catches on.

I can just hear the conversation at Staples or OfficeMax:

"I'm sorry sir. But do you own the design of that spoon you want us to duplicate? Because if not, I'm afraid it's illegal for us to replicate it.  Here's a brochure the Manufacturers Protection Agency made to explain how the new laws work. It's called: You're all a Bunch of Worthless Thieving Scumbags!!!

You heard it here first, folks.  ;D

kyrathaba:
Imagine the medical applications once this technology gets more sophisticated: almost perfect facsimiles for knee replacements, etc.

Ath:
3D printing is a real technology already, one of the shops that can produce the objects for you is Shapeways, but you can build your own 3D printer, if you like, for around US$500 - US$1000. The guys at MakerBot (there are more supplies around) have complete kits where you mostly add time and a creativity, and get tips from the user support forums.
This Wikipedia articlew has a good explanation and references

40hz:
Imagine the medical applications once this technology gets more sophisticated: almost perfect facsimiles for knee replacements, etc.
-kyrathaba (July 10, 2011, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Brilliant thinking Mr.K. !!!  :Thmbsup:

Any bone! Wow. Talk about a boon for reconstructive and orthopedic surgery if they can come up with a highly stable biocompatible modeling resin. Virtually exact replacement parts! The mind boggles at the possibilities and opportunities.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version