ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How viable is using ads as way to monetize a web service?

<< < (2/2)

Veign:
Oops.  Fixed.  Should have been maord.com (forgot I couldn't get the domain I wanted)

Deozaan:
Also, I'm unsure if you mean a website (web app) or a web-service (web service typically refers to some sort of API).-Veign (July 08, 2011, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess what I mean by web service is something similar to what you've got there with your web sites.

Just a website where people can do something useful real quick. Nothing incredibly complex AFAICT.

Veign:
Then what I would do is create the site and use Google Analytics to get a feel for your traffic.  Once you understand the traffic you can then ad some ads like Google's Adsense (quick and easy to setup and use).

Deozaan:
Actually, I guess I should mention that I am also considering having user accounts. If so I'd probably want/try to use OpenID or something.

The idea I've got isn't really a use-it-once-and-then-never-think-of-it-again-type site. Though I suppose it could be. I think that potentially a lot of people will use it perhaps several times a year. It won't be something that people come back to every day. But I think it will be something a lot of people use off and on throughout the year.

On the other hand, I get the feeling that nobody will be clicking on ads. I know I never do.

mahesh2k:
If you're selling ad spots then traffic source matters. Some merchants expect you to show ads to US or CA users only and there are softwares like OpenX to do that or even services like buysellads or carbonads. Rates in CPM industry goes this way.

US - High CPM
CA - High CPM (less than US in few percentage)
UK - High (Less than US/CA)
Rest of the World  - Low

It also depends on the network location. Above table applies if the network and merchants are from US.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version