ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... Windows registry hack to display boot progress

(1/3) > >>

barney:
I recently encountered a registry change that will allow Windows - 7 only? not certain - to display loading information on the boot screen.  It's installed on one of the Win7 laptops.  Now I wish to install in on another laptop and on the desktop box.  But I cannot seem to find it again.  Seems as though it'd be easy enough to research - problem is too much data returned.  Anyone know of it?

40hz:
I'm not familiar with a registry hack to do that. Were you thinking of enabling the NoGUIboot option in MSCONFIG?

For day to day startup monitoring and analysis, you might be happier just installing a free copy of Soluto.
 :)

barney:
Tried Soluto, but it wasn't particularly happy on the box where I installed it :huh:.

I did find the registry key I was seeking:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.VerboseStatus - VerboseStatus had to be added as a DWORD - value 1 shows status, 0 does not.

This doesn't show actual boot status,i.e., before login, but shows more detail after login.  Dunno that it's all that useful, but it is kinda nice to know why so much time elapses between password entry and application load start ;D.  And it has shown me update hangs a couple of times, so I at least had a starting point for problem resolution.

40hz:
New one for me! ;D

Thx. I'll add it to my tech KB. Never know when it might come in handy.  :Thmbsup:

Curt:
6 February 2001 by Snakefoot

Increase the level of status message being shown during startup and shutdown to a more clear picture of what is happening.

Change to verbose with this DWORD registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \System]
    VerboseStatus=1

This setting can also be configured through the Group Policy Editor:

Windows 2003/XP/2000 - Computer Configuration -> Administrative Tools -> System and change the option "Verbose vs. normal status messages".
    Windows Vista/2008 - Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System and change the option "Verbose vs normal status messages"

If the following DWORD registry entry is set to 1 then no messages is shown at all:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \System]
    DisableStatusMessages = 0 (0 = Show messages, 1 = Hide messages)

More Info MS KB Q316243
More Info MS KB Q325376

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version