ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

64 Bit OS - When to Switch ?

<< < (6/10) > >>

f0dder:
Here is the catch: the amount of memory available for the stack is the same in 32-bit and 64-bit Windows, but the stack entries are twice as long on 64-bit Windows. Hence the usable window hierarchy depth is halved. And if you think that you can avoid the problem by using 32-bit edition of the affected application on 64-bit Windows, that is not the case. The problem is in the 64-bit kernel. The worst thing is that Microsoft refuses to consider this a bug and fix it (unless they changed their mind since the last time I checked).-vlastimil (July 08, 2011, 04:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've run into that issue with some of my C# code, and speaking from experience, I can say the following:

that will only ever be an issue with very badly designed code. If you run into this issue, you're doing things wrong - massively wrong.

As for compatibility, I jumped onto the x64 bandwagon relatively early with XP64. At my first attempt, drivers were a problem (blame Creative) and I had to go back to XP32... at my second attempt, I never looked back. Yeah, you can no longer run 16bit apps (neither DOS nor Windows) without an emulator, and some older 32bit apps come with 16bit installers... but generally I've had very little trouble. x64 is slightly faster sometimes (and for some tasks, a lot), it's somewhat more secure, and it lets me use all my memory. It's good.

TheManRetired:
No reason not to run x64 if you have the hardware or getting a new system as it is a lot better of a system and works a lot faster.

superboyac:
I asked this same question here.  This is what I ended up doing and I'm happy with how everything went, more or less.

When I was building my new computer a couple of years ago, I wondered whether to install Windows XP 64-bit.  The majority here said it wouldn't be that noticeable, and some issues may arise.  Basically, they said if you don't have or need more than 4 GB of RAM, it's probably not worth it.  So I didn't do it (I had exactly 4GB).

Then, a few months ago, I was ready to install Windows 7.  So many more people use 64-bit for Win7 as compared to WinXP, that it seemed like a pretty safe thing to do.  So I did, and I'm happy.  The most difficult issue I ran into was trying to get the Windows7 install dvd to boot and install properly because of some AHCI issues I had (which is in a thread here, and I remember somebody giving me fantastic instructions to resolve it).  So that's my story.

vlastimil:
I've run into that issue with some of my C# code, and speaking from experience, I can say the following:

that will only ever be an issue with very badly designed code. If you run into this issue, you're doing things wrong - massively wrong.
-f0dder (July 18, 2011, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Our opinions differ in this point. I say quite the opposite. If you design your code in a good way and isolate things from each other, this limitation will bite you in the ass. Is it a bad design to use tabs, splitters or collapsible panels? http://www.rw-designer.com/screenshots/edit-animated-cursor-big.png Maybe I went a bit over the board with the complexity, but not in an unreasonable way.

I prefer isolated components, little black-boxes I can juggle around as I want. They need a bit more window nesting depth than the 64-bit edition gives...

telephonics:
I have a problem involving the 64 bit OS. I have same and it works finer. However I have one program -RoboForm- that I rely on to store web site IDs and passwords that will not run on 64bt browser-requires a 32 bit browser. When I try to download and install the 32 bit I get message saying later version already installed and will not allow me to proceed. Is there a way I can install IE(32 bit and IE9 64 bit??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version