ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A tad paranoid when it comes to installing software?

<< < (4/4)

Stoic Joker:
I don't recall C++ ever needing additional files, unless it's an MFC app (which I never use).

While I'm not sure about the Delphi part, I have seen several mainstream production applications (like Sage BusinessWorks) that were created using Borland's (CBuilder) IDE that insisted on dumping a ton of .bpl files in the system32 folder.

But it's my understanding that these .bpl (Break Point Library) files are only used for debugging and should never under any circumstances be used/required by release version production software. So this would be a developer boo boo as I understand it.
-Stoic Joker (August 01, 2011, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm... no.  BPL doesn't stand for break point library.  It stands for Borland Package Library.  They can either be compiled into the executable, or separated out as supporting assemblies.  And the only reason to separate them out is if you're going to load your own packages at run time.  See http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/27178.-wraith808 (August 01, 2011, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... Okay, that makes a bit more sense (it's been a few years since I last delved into it). Although it is still a bit annoying to see the installer spewing these things into the system folder. And it makes it easier to crack the application when they're done that way.

They are the same as the atl/vc libraries, and contain system level functionality.  But they can be for the most part compiled into the executable, and in the case that they can't, they can be put alongside the application.  This is a practice of some developers, just as you could do the same in .NET.  It's not a difference or a weakness in the language, but the developer and how they distribute.-wraith808 (August 01, 2011, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

So they are Borlands specific .lib type libraries?

I gave up on Borland years ago and went with MSVS C++ as it fit better with (my budget) what I was doing/looking for at the time.

wraith808:
So they are Borlands specific .lib type libraries?
-Stoic Joker (August 01, 2011, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sort of, though that's not a direct analogy.  They are statically linked, but can be dynamically loaded (and if .lib files can be dynamically loaded, then the answer is just yes).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version