ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

quick opinions: do i return this annoying machine

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ath:
I hope they don't make a fuss over it.
-nudone (July 07, 2011, 05:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good luck! And you have this forum and the posts you made as kinda 'proof' it didn't die on you just yesterday or today :-\

nudone:
I hope they don't make a fuss over it.
-nudone (July 07, 2011, 05:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good luck! And you have this forum and the posts you made as kinda 'proof' it didn't die on you just yesterday or today :-\
-Ath (July 07, 2011, 05:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. Hopefully they'll appreciate I have no other reasonable option that to ask for the full refund. It seems clear enough on their terms and conditions page - but Carol did mention how awkward they were to her.

Shades:
When hard drives are not recognized during boot can mean several things. The first thing I try is to disable fast boot in the BIOS. Servers that I build always have this option disabled.

The next part is mainly about mechanical drives, but the concept behind it could be worth checking out.
Sometimes the BIOS isn't giving the hard disk enough time to spin up sufficiently and according to the BIOS it isn't there, while you do hear it spin. When booting the system for the second time the BIOS does recognize the drive and will go on to do its business.

Why a drive doesn't spin up sufficiently in the allotted time can be a lot of things, like a worn drive or power supply that is not supplying sufficient power to the drive (which happens the most in my situation over here).

Normally, a power supply has two 'rails' that supply +12volt, +5volt and GND with a certain amperage. What sometimes helps (again, in my situation over here in Paraguay) is switching one rail with the other.

This might be worth checking out as it eliminates one way for them to weasel out of giving you a new system or giving you your money back.

nudone:
I first saw your reply to the other thread, Shades so I posted my reply there: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27196.msg254375#msg254375

(I just said it's a solid state drive, so no spinning involved. The machine was working fine and today just decided to be stupid again. So, it's definitely going back to the shop and I want a full refund - but a motherboard replacement sounds like it might be enough to fix the problem - who can say though, I don't want to test that theory.)

cranioscopical:
Dump it!

Why pay to be aggravated when I'll do that for you free?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version