Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 22, 2014, 09:19:35 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lots of New Members  (Read 5040 times)
kyrathaba
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Honorary Member

while(! dead_horse){beat}

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:50:40 PM »

I've noticed we've gained in the neighborhood of 20+ new members just in the past 24 hours.  Is this a normal rate, or are we enjoying an unusual influx? 

Welcome, all you newcomers!

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit-SP1 AMD Athlon II X2 220 Socket AM3 (938) @ 2.1GHz 6GB RAM Firefox 26.0
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm fighting against patent trolls. Join me and tell your representative to support the #SHIELDAct: https://eff.org/r.b6JJ /via @EFF

My DC page: http://kyrathaba.dcmembers.com | My blog: http://williambryanmiller.com/ | Proofreading Service: http://bit.ly/1fQSqQP

MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 01:26:08 AM »

I've noticed we've gained in the neighborhood of 20+ new members just in the past 24 hours.  Is this a normal rate, or are we enjoying an unusual influx? 

Welcome, all you newcomers!

Hmmmmmmmm, maybe someone hinted if you signed up you could get an assortment of Cuban Cigars?

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 03:08:19 AM »

We get about 80 new members a day.

(we used to get over twice that a day until i hardened the registration page and stopped the automated bots from registering -- that's a scary thought isn't it?)
Techno-Idiot
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:12:24 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

I joined yesterday afternoon and I've got to say it's good news/bad news.  The good news is I found a handy-dandy little tool in Coding Snacks that I've needed for about 2 years...yippee.  The bad news is...I've spent waaaay to much time on the site! All in all, I'm definitely glad to be here, but now I need to get back to work.

Later...
kyrathaba
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Honorary Member

while(! dead_horse){beat}

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:24:55 AM »

Welcome, Techno!

I know what you mean about spending LOTS of time on the site. It's my online home cheesy

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit-SP1 AMD Athlon II X2 220 Socket AM3 (938) @ 2.1GHz 6GB RAM Firefox 26.0
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm fighting against patent trolls. Join me and tell your representative to support the #SHIELDAct: https://eff.org/r.b6JJ /via @EFF

My DC page: http://kyrathaba.dcmembers.com | My blog: http://williambryanmiller.com/ | Proofreading Service: http://bit.ly/1fQSqQP

MilesAhead

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:58:02 PM »

We get about 80 new members a day.

(we used to get over twice that a day until i hardened the registration page and stopped the automated bots from registering -- that's a scary thought isn't it?)

That's weird.  What's the advantage of registering if you're a bot? Or is it people using those BugMeNot autoregs because they can't be bothered?

- MilesAhead
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 04:54:30 PM »

Wonderful sp_______m, wonderful sp________m, etc. ?
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 05:19:51 PM »

What's the advantage of registering if you're a bot?

i suspect that every popular site on the web has bot scripts that try to create as many accounts as possible, every day, to sell to spam bot networks.. the accounts probably stay dormant until needed.  its not surprising that spam bot networks are creating automated accounts to deploy in the future.. it's just surprising how many accounts they are trying to make every day.
phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 05:35:10 AM »

I start wondering who of you guys I've been talking to / discussing with are actually just bots ohmy

Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 06:24:21 AM »

Hm, did we talk? Grin

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 06:32:29 AM »

Grin Grin Grin
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 08:05:55 AM »

Lotsa necroposting lately too! What's up with that?  Grin

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 08:29:28 AM »

Bots are using a new lazar technology!

Chris
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 08:40:12 AM »

i don't get it.  huh
phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 08:48:20 AM »

i don't get it.  huh

That's because you're a bot.

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »

Bots are using a new lazar technology!

i don't get it.  huh

That's another one for us bots!  Thmbsup

Chris
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 11:07:07 AM »

i don't get it.  huh

(playing off laser) Lazar, as in Lazarus: Popular back-from-the-dead guy in the bible. Wink

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 11:42:46 AM »

(playing off laser) Lazar, as in Lazarus: Popular back-from-the-dead guy in the bible. Wink
You guys really are exceeding yourselves, there's not even an ice cube's chance in hell I'd ever get that one ohmy

40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »

You guys really are exceeding yourselves, there's not even an ice cube's chance in hell I'd ever get that one ohmy

+1w/jgp

And yeah. Really! In not exacty a slouch when it comes to wordplay, but jeez! Grin

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »

You need to read more Joyce then; that'll learn yer a thinger too..  Wink

“Come forth, Lazarus! And he came fifth and lost the job.”
-James Joyce

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
MilesAhead

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »

i don't get it.  huh

I got the reference.  But explaining a joke is kind of like death warmed over. smiley

- MilesAhead
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 06:00:24 PM »

I got the reference.  But explaining a joke is kind of like death warmed over.

But does that count if the joke has been resurrected?

MilesAhead

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 06:04:08 PM »

I got the reference.  But explaining a joke is kind of like death warmed over.

Only if the voting is in Chicago. smiley

- MilesAhead
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »

Could have been a grave mistake!

Chris
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 12:14:25 AM »

Lotsa necroposting lately too! What's up with that?  Grin

It's not always obvious to newcomers that some threads are really old and dead. I did the same thing when I was a DC noob. I later learned to look at the dates before posting. Or maybe I just started using the "Unread Posts" feed so that only recent/active threads came up on my display.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.051s | Server load: 0.12 ]