topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2012 Idea Suggestion: Virtual Collectible Trading Card Game Framework  (Read 10105 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I know there have been some attempts at this before (done mostly in Java), but I've yet to find one that doesn't seem buggy or off-puttingly complex:

I'd like an application (desktop or online) that let's me develop a set of cards, complete with artwork, flavor text, and rules about how each card functions.

If multiple people have access to the app, they can play via internet access.

The most important requirement of this app would be (1) a non off-putting learning curve and (2) a scripting feature to implement rules sets for games, (3) it should implement a way to "win" collectible cards if the particular game is a CTCG.

This is probably pushing the envelope of proper NANY scope, but we've got 6 months, and it doesn't have to be completely polished by the Dec 7th submission deadline, just functional.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:35 AM by kyrathaba »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it doesn't have to be completely polished by the Dec 7th submission deadline

Heresy!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Complete polishing optional for submission by 12/07 deadline; mandatory by New Year :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'd be very interesting in talking to you about this project, and maybe helping contribute to it.

I've long planned a generic card game engine.  I have collected some notes and links -- there are quite a few existing virtual card game and collectible card game software frameworks out there already, but definitely room for another.

My idea was to make it entirely in html5/javascript for online play, but however you do it, i think it's an interesting project.

I've spent some time writing back end python-based support utilities for creating card "pieces" suitable both for printing and using in a computer program.  See here.  While that may look like it's just about rapidly prototyping cards for printing -- that code is also designed to manage machine-readable card data.  I think it would be very useful to any potential computer card game engine.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fantastic!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser,

I'm kinda getting stoked about this idea.  I've long wanted software that would allow me to create my own card games that could be played across a network.  Like many people, I was once heavily into the "Magic: The Gathering" card game, and just loved the permutations and strategies that came into play.  I'd love to have something that could enable me to create a similar game, but with my own unique rules set.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there anything I can do to help begin this project?  Or, I suppose I should say that the project has a huge headstart in that mouser has done a lot of Python work that can be leveraged in this direction.  What can I do to assist, if anything?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I've been talking to Krishean, a javascript pro who hangs out on DC about the prospect of participating.. I'm anxious to hear what he says.

It may be that the best thing we can do is describe a general system and data file formats and then let different people write different "clients" for it.

In my opinion however the best thing you could at the moment is send me a pm and sign up at http://redmine.dcisv.com and i will add your account to the redmine project page for this project, and you can look around at what we've already written up and maybe test some of the existing tools to see how they compare to what we might do differently.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Okay, I will sign up at Redmine when I get home from work.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ProtoCards (aka ScriptingCards) is meant to be an engine/library which can be used:

* Out of the box to play generic multiplayer card/board games without implementing any game-specific rules (i.e. just provide pieces and board for users to manipulate)
    * As the core library upon which to build a specific card/board game with support for custom game rules/logic
    * A multiplayer lobby/hub for players to meet up and play.

Exactly what I was envisioning, mouser!!  Excellent stuff!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mouser,

I gave the entire wiki a good once-over, and liked what I saw very much: well thought-out.

Looking forward to how this proceeds, and will volunteer myself as a tester.  If any of the development needs fall within my abilities/knowledgebase (only thing I can think of is a helper utility later on), I'm glad to do that too.  I think down the road I may be able to lend a hand in creating some user-friendly tutorial materials.