ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

nearby lightning skrike kills neighbours computers (and mine)

<< < (15/20) > >>

tomos:
I'm beginning to really hate computers. I think I'll just go and bury my head in the sand...
-nudone (July 04, 2011, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

know that feeling (with sympathies)

westom:
I'm beginning to really hate computers. I think I'll just go and bury my head in the sand until the machine explodes in a spectacular fashion. -nudone (July 04, 2011, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
It’s not the computer that is a problem.  You keep ignoring posts you don't like.  Feelings and subjective recommendations should be nowhere in this discussion.  As a result, you are confused and frustrated.

What you need to know about the cable was already suggested.  Your story is why better manufacturers provide comprehensive hardware diagnostics for free.  That find failures by first identifying them.   
--- End quote ---
  Does the cable work?  Is it sufficient?  Why so many answers and you still do not have one?  Even citations did not provide numbers; were only subjective; were only speculation.  To not be confused means ignoring every post that is subjective, that does not say why, and does not include numbers.

What is the worst case test for disk drive access - unique only to your machine?  Comprehensive hardware diagnostics.  That (and a backup machine) has always been your best solution.

Computers are easily.  Hard part is unlearning bad habits. Hard for most is to love what is best - posts only with technical facts and numbers.  Recommendations that are subjective, without reasons why, and without numbers are best ignored.  Then computers get much easier.

You have no idea if the SATA cable is relevant.  Even diagnostics were not executed.

nudone:
westom, i do appreciate what you are saying but i've not responded directly to your suggestions as i really don't know how to go out diagnosing the problem.

the "bad" cable doesn't appear to be bad at all at the moment. so i can only conclude there is nothing wrong with it. same applies to the solid state drive, works fine as does the motherboard and other components in the machine.

i don't have any real testing equipment, other than to keep swapping hardware around until i find something that doesn't work. i don't have the time for that and i wouldn't find any satisfaction in doing it either.

so, i think i understand and agree with you that it is important to find the solution to what caused the problem - but i don't know how. not in any practical way, i need the computer to earn a living so sending it to the store only creates even more problems for me.

maybe i'm just missing something obvious, are there simple ways to diagnose the trouble i've had. any suggestions will be appreciated (other than taking it to the store or buying equipment to test it with).

westom:
i don't have any real testing equipment, other than to keep swapping hardware around until i find something that doesn't work. i don't have the time for that and i wouldn't find any satisfaction in doing it either.-nudone (July 04, 2011, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Swapping is a worst diagnostic technique.  Do you have a computer, a disk drive, and that cable?  Then you have all necessary test hardware.

Apparently you are making assumptions rather than asking for the details.  Provided was only enough information for the executive summary.  What is done to have facts means you knew good diagnostic procedure or asked for details.  Finally you asked.

First, only better computer manufacturers provide comprehensive hardware diagnostics for free.  That should be a major lesson for your future and for others.

Second,  every minimally acceptable disk drive manufacturer also provided comprehensive hardware diagnostics for free.   Download those diagnostics from drive manufacturer site or from bootdisk.com

mouser:
There are times when one needs to really do a hardcore investigation into the cause of a failure, and then there are times to say "the problem is fixed, that's good enough."  at this point i think your best bet is to get back to enjoying your new computer and just be religious about keeping backups of any data on that new computer, in case the problem turns out to be a bad hard drive.

Personally I would also try hard to put that drive and pc to the test in the next week or so -- defrag it, run benchmarks on it.  If it's going to fail, better to find out sooner rather than later.  And just relax and enjoy it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version