ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

nearby lightning skrike kills neighbours computers (and mine)

<< < (7/20) > >>

cranioscopical:
UNPLUG IT
-app103 (June 30, 2011, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably good to write that backwards across the forehead!

nudone:
Yes, good point about unplugging the reserve machine - I had already thought about it and taken it one step further in my head:

only one machine is ever allowed to be plugged in at any one time, i.e. there will always be a machine safe from a power spike. Therefore data transfer between the two machines will have to done via a third storage device, which could just be a hard drive.

Sound advice about the psu being damaged from shades; I will try to test it.

eleman:
The sad reality is that Paraguay has a lot of power failures/spikes/noise which results in a lot of prematurely dying power supplies.
-Shades (June 30, 2011, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Consider using UPS. Even cheap ones should provide some protection against voltage fluctuations and line noise.

Carol Haynes:
Yes, good point about unplugging the reserve machine - I had already thought about it and taken it one step further in my head:

only one machine is ever allowed to be plugged in at any one time, i.e. there will always be a machine safe from a power spike. Therefore data transfer between the two machines will have to done via a third storage device, which could just be a hard drive.

Sound advice about the psu being damaged from shades; I will try to test it.
-nudone (June 30, 2011, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like a case for NAS with good synchronisation software.

Actually this is what I do with my laptop - I keep all important data synced with my desktop.

app103:

Sounds like a case for NAS with good synchronisation software.

Actually this is what I do with my laptop - I keep all important data synced with my desktop.
-Carol Haynes (July 01, 2011, 02:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

But remember to unplug it, otherwise, if you get hit, you could lose your NAS and everything on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version