ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

nearby lightning skrike kills neighbours computers (and mine)

<< < (6/20) > >>

nudone:
Oh. That's a bit worrying. I was intending on using the sound and gfx cards out of the old machine to put inside the new setup. Oh and all the hard drives too.

I think I'll take the risk. Or maybe not. I don't know what to do now.

Shades:
Try the parts one by one on a mainboard that supports the cards, but that you do not care (too much) about. If the parts hold out for a week or so without problems, then I would consider using the cards on the backup PC you want to build.

There is no need to be burned twice by one single event.

nudone:
Yes, I can live with that. The new machine has enough inside to work without me having to swap anything over.

Something just occurred to me. The psu out of the dead machine works fine - shouldn't it have blown up?

app103:
My income does now depend on the data on my machine so that really has to be my priority in protecting. Combined with the downtime a dead machine causes, a backup pc makes a very great deal of sense.
-nudone (June 30, 2011, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

A backup machine does make perfect sense, but it doesn't need to be as glorious as your main machine. It only needs to be good enough to get you by till you can replace the main machine. (my 2 backup machines are P4 Prescott, main machine is a Q6600) But once you put it together and set it up with the essential software you need to keep you going, UNPLUG IT. Otherwise, if you end up losing your main machine to a lightning strike, you will probably also lose your backup machine too, if it is also plugged in at the time.

Shades:
Keen comment App103 as you easily forget to do so, when synchronizing software and/or data from the main PC to the backup PC is done.

Nudone, are you sure the PSU works fine? Does it supply the intended voltages (+12 Volt, +5 Volt, GND, -5 Volt, -12 Volt) within the margins set by the manufacturer, does it still put out the specified Ampere? Seeing a "pilot" light on the mainboard coming up does not mean that the power supply (reliably) works.

You would be terrified about the amount of power supplies that I have here which appear to be working, but really are not up to the task anymore. For fun's sake, I did count them and there are 14 of them lying around here. The sad reality is that Paraguay has a lot of power failures/spikes/noise which results in a lot of prematurely dying power supplies.

Getting powerful, high quality ones did not pan out. They didn't really last longer than the cheap ones and with the huge price difference I rather replace for another cheap one. Which occurs quite regularly given the amount of faulty PSU's here. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version