ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

nearby lightning skrike kills neighbours computers (and mine)

<< < (5/20) > >>

Carol Haynes:
When we were last in the U.K. my Canadian wife was astonished to find summertime sunshine and clear skies morph into a full-blown run-for-cover-storm and back again within about 30 minutes.
-cranioscopical (June 30, 2011, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

You should try Scotland - I remember one May holiday a few years back were I was suffering from dehydration from heat exhaustion, had the campsite demolished by storm force wind and rain and woke up to snow - all in under 24 hours!

nudone:
Yes, that's what I'll do, good idea: from the ashes of the old machine, I'll rebuild it into something perfectly decent as a standby machine. Because of the way I've ordered the new pc I'll have a case a psu spare to start with if nothing else.

My income does now depend on the data on my machine so that really has to be my priority in protecting. Combined with the downtime a dead machine causes, a backup pc makes a very great deal of sense.

cranioscopical:

You should try Scotland - I remember one May holiday a few years back were I was suffering from dehydration from heat exhaustion, had the campsite demolished by storm force wind and rain and woke up to snow - all in under 24 hours!
-Carol Haynes (June 30, 2011, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Scotland!

So, it's true… there is some corner of a sporran field    that is for ever England.

cranioscopical:
My income does now depend on the data on my machine so that really has to be my priority in protecting. Combined with the downtime a dead machine causes, a backup pc makes a very great deal of sense.
-nudone (June 30, 2011, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's the down time that can do you in if you work to tight deadlines.
A fall-back machine makes even more sense if you have some of its parts already at your disposal.

These disasters are a painful way to learn but their lessons are seldom forgotten. Cold comfort, I know.

Shades:
My suggestion is to not use any of the old equipment. Although the parts may look good, that does not mean that they are. I got some parts from a friend where lightning struck the telephone line transformer (about 100 meters from his house). After I tried two of those parts suddenly my mainboard developed a problem and died.

Take your loss regarding the hardware. As the saying goes: God works in mysterious ways...well, he had a good teacher called: lightning!

Further precaution: only if you are a bandmember of Metallica, you can ride it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version