topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 3:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Website abuse and spam - any suggestions how to deal with it?  (Read 6217 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a somewhat irritating problem at the moment and am at a loss on how to deal with it ...

A number of bogus adverts have started appearing offering jobs to people who want to work from home. Here is one example:

text included because I hope carigslist will be removing this
ACCOUNTING FOR BUSY OFFICE (Southwest Michigan)
Date: 2011-06-18, 10:08PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
We are in need of an accountant to handle almost everything in the accounting department. Accounts payable and receivable, payroll, bank reconciliations, general ledger, day to day posting of incoming checks, visa, cash, day to day posting of all invoices recieved. Person needs to be very proficient in all areas of accounting. If interested, please send resume with salary history here. Must also have an bachelor degree or equivalent work experience to be considered.
Please no spamming.
Only serious inquiries please.

Compensation: $20 to $25 per hour
    Telecommuting is ok.
    This is a contract job.
    This is an internship job
    OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities
    Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    Please, no phone calls about this job!
    Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

PostingID: 2449089178

see http://swmi.craigsli.../acc/2449089178.html

Apart from the poor grammar and spelling it looks plausible but is actually a fake job.

When someone responds to this sort of thing they are getting an email which has whole pages listed from my website (including my name) and a number of people have googled me and found my website as a result.

These people are obviously distressed and asking me about jobs. Below is one such conversation that a potential employee had with this scammer (name of the person applying is the only thing I changed) and whilst to you or me this looks like an obvious scam quite a few people have been drawn in. I suspect that at some point they would be asked for some sort of payment or bank details so that the scam pays off.

My question is what can I do about it (I contacted craigslist and am awaiting a reply - but I suspect that is only the tip of the iceberg). Deos anyone know of a way of stopping people lifting whole chunks of websites? I presume this is automated as they made such a bad job of it! They did a cut and paste job with my business name and the fake business name which only adds the confusion and stupidity.

Quoted correspondence
Here is everything that has transpired between us and the individual (Anthony Cole). I am appalled by this behavior. My husband has been looking for a job for a while now and this was the first break we've had. I hope that there is something that can be done to stop this. My husband will be reporting them to the BBB in the hopes that this will help stop things.
Once again, sorry that you have to be in this position. It is a sad world that we live in that we can't even trust our own websites out there! I hope this all helps.

J.

Here's the response we got:

(this email was from a Dawn Longley with this email address: [email protected])

Dear Applicant,

We have reviewed your resume on www.craiglist.com and believe you could qualify for this position. We have forwarded your resume to the Head of Operation. Mr Anthony Cole of Anthony Boxer Computer Consultant . He would like to conduct an online interview with you on Tuesday 28th June ,2011 between 9:00AM -2:00 PM EST to discuss more about the Accounting Clerk Position that you are yet to occupy.

Set Up a Screen name with the yahoo Instant Messenger online at www.messenger.yahoo.com and add up the Head of Operation screen name:acole001 to your buddy list.

His Screen Name with Yahoo Instant Messenger is: acole001

Email Address: [email protected]

He will be waiting to talk to you on yahoo messenger right away.Endeavor to get online ASAP.

I Wish you the best of Luck on the Interview. If you have any problem, Please feel free to email back .

Human Resource Dept-

Here's the info he sent during the interview:

Anthony Boxer Computer Consultant is located in California USA.

With nearly 30 years of experience working with computers in business and education, Carol Haynes established Anthony Boxer Computer Consultant at the heart of the Yorkshire Dales National Park to provide computer repairs, upgrades, system setup and installation and web design and web hosting to local computer users in the home, at school and in small businesses. See the Services pages for a list of some of what is offered.

With an up to date knowledge of modern hardware, wired and wireless small office and home office (SOHO) networks and most desktop operating systems, Anthony Boxer Computer Consultant aims to provide an affordable, timely, friendly and professional service for all your computing needs.

Anthony Boxer Computer Consultant's commitments to customers are:

appointment times (usually within 48 hours) are kept,  prices are clearly stated in advance,

work will only be carried out after full consultation, and wherever possible onsite,

if parts are required you have the option of supplying them yourself or DCS will supply them at the best price possible.

SERVICE=============

Anthony Boxer Computer Consultant offer a range of services including:

supplying new computers, printers and other peripherals to order

hand built computers to your own specification

repairs and upgrades

software recommendations

full website design and hosting

specification and installation of small office and home computer networks

set up internet access and suggest alternative ways to distribute internet securely throughout your home or office to multiple computers

troubleshoot hardware and software problems and removing viruses and other malware

advice, support and training

system health checks and clean system reinstalls

For further information please select options from the menu on the right.

Something else you need? Just ask.

If it can be done it will be ... professionally and with a smile!

Whatever your needs Anthony Boxer Computer Consultant is here to help.

JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Entering all checks vouchers and payment in appropriate account ;Maintains accurate records of all Receivable's and Payable's Developing, analyzing, and maintaining financial reporting systems in general accounting, budget or cost systems.Responsible forcompiling amounts owed from purchase orders, charge slips, sales tickets etc

BRIEFING SUMMARY

You will be enlisted for 2 weeks training programme. Find Training programme details below:

*You will have to be online from 9am to 12pm daily for training programmes as you will be given series of tasks during training.

*You will resume work fully after training and your working hours will be 8am - 4pm your time zone.

*Whether or not you have an assignment or task to carry out you will be paid for $18/hr and for 6hrs a day as long as you are online during the stated hours.

*You have to keep strict record of time and activities. A time sheet should be sent in every Friday's days for monitoring (In your own format).

*In carrying out any assignment or task a progress report has to be emailed every Friday to me.

*You are paid weekly.

*There is no start up cost, the training would be administered on line, this is an Internet based position, and the base pay is $18 per hour During training and $23 per hour after training.

*Either party is free to terminate at any time with notice.

*At the end of your training, you will receive a 1099 form at the end of the year as you are listed as an Independent contractor.

*Benefits include: 401k, health and dental, paid vacation and 2 weeks sick leave you will be enrolled for this benefits after 2months after which you would become a regular employee of company.

WORKING EQUIPMENTS

Equipments will be provided for you by the Company asap. This includes a Hp Laptop/Notebook for mobility and some other software for accuracy, Speed of data processing, Time Monitoring and Effectiveness,(4 in one Zebra ZM 400vvBarcode Printer and Cards,Fax Machine,Scanner,Photocopier Machine, 4Drawer Cabinet and Office Desk).

Details on the Uses and delivery of these equipments would be provided to you ASAP.

You would be Given the Following to start work with after training:

* Staff User Name and Password for Our Website Link ( For easy access to company data and task for each day )

Employment Supervisor

And here's the conversation between my husband and Anthony Cole:
(He was talking to me until my husband could get to the computer)
Anthony Cole: Hi J

Anthony Cole: Let me know when he is ready

Anthony Cole: i will be here

JJ: Sounds good. I just sent him a text. He only works about 10 minutes from our house.

Anthony Cole: ok

JJ: My husband just sent me a text saying he was on his way home. He should be here in about 15 minutes tops.

Anthony Cole: Ok

JJ: Hello, This is JJ.  I am here now.

Anthony Cole: Hello

JJ: I am interested to hear more about the position.

Anthony Cole: My name is Anthony Cole  from Anthony Boxer Computer Consultant and you are?

JJ: JJ

Anthony Cole: Nice to meet you JJ

Anthony Cole: I will send you the job details and company profile to read and get more familiar with what we do.

JJ: Nice to meet you too.  Thank you.

Anthony Cole: Accept the file and read

You have received 1 file from Anthony Cole.
DSC JOB DETAILS.txt
Open (Alt+Shift+O)

Anthony Cole: Got it?

JJ: Yes and I am currently reading it.  Thank you.

Anthony Cole: Ok Read and let me know when to proceed with the online interview

JJ: So, this is entirely an online position?  Would I ever have to report to any office physically?

JJ: I am looking to work this position in the evening.  Would that be possible?

Anthony Cole: Yes the hours are flexible

JJ: I am looking to work this job from 4 - 11 p.m.  Would that be possible.  

Anthony Cole: YEs sure .

Anthony Cole: Read and let me know when to proceed with the online interview

JJ: I read it and am ready to proceed.

Anthony Cole: ok

Anthony Cole: I have a couple of questions to ask you before i make the employment decision

JJ: Ok.  Go ahead when you are ready.

Anthony Cole: Are you capable of handling this position?

JJ: Yes, I believe I am.

Anthony Cole: How well do you work under pressure?

JJ: Pretty well.  When I am under pressure I go into a "Get It Done" mentality until I am done with the task at hand.

Anthony Cole: What do you understand by privacy and code of conduct relates to employees?

JJ: As far as privacy goes, I understand that when working with any financial data, I am to use the information only to do my job and not for anything else.  As far as code
of conduct goes...I understand that I will be a remote employee and therefore you are trusting me to be honest with what I am doing for you.

Anthony Cole: Do you have any form of disability?

JJ: No.

Anthony Cole: How well do you relate with people?

JJ: I believe I relate decently well with people.

Anthony Cole: What is your stongest point as an individual?

JJ: I am a self starter and will do whatever it takes to get a job done that I have set out to do as long as it does not go against my morals or values.

Anthony Cole: Rate your self on a scale of 1-5 based on the following MATHEMATICAL ACCURACY, SPELLING ACCURACY,TYPING SPEED,STATISTICAL ACCURACY?

JJ: I would rate myself a 4 for all of those.

Anthony Cole: Will you be able to dedicate 7hours of your time to this position Mon-Fri?

JJ: I believe so, as long as long as those hourse would be able to be from 4 p.m. - 11 p.m. weekdays.

JJ: (hours) Excuse my typo.

Anthony Cole: Congratulations......This is to confirm that you have been approved to be a staff of ANTHONY BOXER COMPUTER CONSILTANT, having reached the requirements,
passed the interview and recommended for the Job by the Board of Director on employment.

JJ: Thank you very much!!!  I am looking forward to serving your company to the best of my ability.  How long has your company been outsourcing accounting?  How many other accountants do you have working for you?  
Anthony Cole: As for your duties, they will be as follows: Your Primary duties include: Preparation of Balance sheets (Mini), account balancing, invoicing recording,proper data analysis of sales records and recording pay slips into accounting database all these will be done through the use of the Accounting Software.

Secondary duties: Now, your secondary daily duties would be to report to your Supervisor, who would be attached to you online, He/She would assign logs of duty daily and you would be required to work according to instructions, using the Microsoft Office tools and the Accounting software. Now the function of the Accounting software is to arrange, formalize and manage the data you have processed, sent to your supervisor via E-mail.

Can you handle the job duties ?

JJ: Yes.

Anthony Cole: I want you to send me your full name address and phone number to [email protected] so i  can send you the employment letter to sign and also create an employee profile for you.

Email that and get back to me online to proceed.

JJ: Just sent you the e-mail.

Anthony Cole: You will be undergoing a 2 day orientation which will commence as soon as you have all working materials and you are rest assured that you will be paid for it okay ?

JJ: Sounds good.  Is this information being mailed today?

Anthony Cole: Yes we will send you funds to purchase the materials.

Anthony Cole: You will need some Data entry/Accounting software and also a time tarcker to commence your training and orientation and also you need the software to get started with work...the work of the time tarcker is to calculate your hours worked since this is an online work from home.

The funds for the software will be provided for you by the company via check ..... make sure you use them as instructed for the software okay ?

JJ: I certainly will.  Thank you!

Anthony Cole: As soon as the check its been issued out to you i will notify you and provide you with the tracking number so you can keep track and know when it will get to you okay ?

JJ: OK.  Great!

Anthony Cole: Please do not play with our time and our money, you can decline now if you are not able to perform the simple tasks,or if you are not okay with recieving company funds in other to purchase the needed software to start work with okay ?

JJ: I am not interested in playing with your time or money.  I want to confirm that my hours would be from 4 to 11 p.m.  This is important as I have a day job that I am keeping.

JJ: I also would like to know one thing: Why do you send company funds to purchase software as opposed to providing me with the software itself?

Anthony Cole: Yes because we like to test employee on how capable they can handle the company funds .

JJ: That sounds like a very good answer.  Because we have never physically met, you would want to make sure I would handle company funds properly.

JJ: I will look for the materials to come within the next couple of days and once I have purchased the software with the company funds I will be able to log on at 4 p.m. Eastern any time this week to begin.  

JJ: Thank you, once again.

Anthony Cole: Yes sure but please i need you to be online tomorrow morning in the morning so i can brief you on what to do with the check when it arrives and i should have the tracking number by tomorrow .

JJ: What time would you need me online tomorrow morning.  As I have before stated, I am available to work after 4.  If the morning is the only time that would be available for you, around this time tomorrow would work (I will simply take a lunch again).

Anthony Cole: Ok good.

Anthony Cole: This time is fine .

JJ: Thanks again.  Bye.  And I will talk to you tomorrow.

Anthony Cole: Talk to you tomorrow

Here is the conversation I had once I figured out this was a fake:
Anthony Cole: Excuse   me
(this is in response to me saying that I was not interested in working for him because I discovered it was a fake)

JJ: I google searched Carol Haynes and found her website that talks about fake job offers being sent out.

Anthony Cole: With our company name?

JJ: Here is the link....http://www.dalescomp...ces.com/contact.html

Anthony Cole: That is not our company

JJ: No. But with all the exact wording you sent me in the file you wanted me to read.

JJ: Here is the link to what I am speaking of: http://www.dalescomp...vices.com/about.html

Anthony Cole: it is possible that thesame website design company  made our site

Anthony Cole: but i have never heard of dales computer services

JJ: Well. It's in the about me section. Please take the time to look at it. It's about Carol Haynes who started your company.

JJ: I don't understand why that information would be on a website that you designed.

JJ: I mean no offense. I'm just trying to look out for the well being of my family.

Anthony Cole: Yes i understand and i am very suprised you think we are illegal

Anthony Cole: Because i have never heard of dalescompuetservices or what ever

JJ: Well, I'm struggling with the fact that the information in the file that you sent me is also on a computer services website in Europe and they are saying that someone is putting out fake jobs using their information.

JJ: Did you look at the site to see what I am referring to?

Anthony Cole: Yes i did but i swear i have never heard of them

Anthony Cole: and we dont have thesame company name

JJ: No. But in the file you sent me it refers to DCS which is not short for Anthony Boxer Computer Consultant and I couldn't figure out what that was referring to.

JJ: That's how I came across Carol Haynes and Yorkshire National Park and the information about fake jobs.

Anthony Cole: Oh know i understand what you mean that you searched for the name carol Haynes ...but that could a coincident of names .

JJ: Well. And I would agree with you, BUT, all the information about your company is EXACTLY the SAME as on her computer services website AND it's actually based in Europe where she supposedly originated her ideas.

Anthony Cole: DCS on the file name mean Desktop Secure Configuration.

JJ: This is the section I'm referring to:

JJ: Anthony Boxer Computer Consultant's commitments to customers are:
appointment times (usually within 48 hours) are kept,  prices are clearly stated in advance,
work will only be carried out after full consultation, and wherever possible onsite,
if parts are required you have the option of supplying them yourself or DCS will supply them at the best price possible.

Anthony Cole: Its a security configuration used to save files without virus risk

JJ: DCS as "desktop secure configuration" does not fit!

JJ: The sentence "if parts are required you have the option of supplying then yourself or DCS will supply them at the best price possible"

JJ: does not make sense using desktop secure configuration

Anthony Cole: you meant the DSC on the file name

JJ: It doesn't say DSC in your file it says DCS.

Anthony Cole: I am sure you are just being curious but the position is 100% legal and risk free
Last message received on 6/28 at 8:32 PM

JJ: I think it's best that we part ways. I do not feel comfortable with this position. Sorry to waste your time and I'm also sorry that my time was wasted. Have a good night.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Website abuse and spam - any suggestions how to deal with it?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 05:18 AM »
The best solution I can come up with is to add a small modal message when visiting your website, only displaying it when the referer is craigslist or google (perhaps certain keywords)?
You can't control craigslist (although I heard that the founder still answers all support email so you might be in luck) and even if you can find out the spammer there's little chance to take them to court or otherwise stop them so your best bet is using the platforms you control, either a modal message on your website or an email autoresponder explaining the issue.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Pretty much the conclusion I thought too.

The only other thing I thought of doing was adding hidden text to my pages so that anyone harvesting pages for this sort of thing would be sending out a message that undermines the spam! Trouble is I can't help feeling that will impact on search engine results!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 04:33 PM »
Pretty much the conclusion I thought too.

The only other thing I thought of doing was adding hidden text to my pages so that anyone harvesting pages for this sort of thing would be sending out a message that undermines the spam! Trouble is I can't help feeling that will impact on search engine results!
-Carol Haynes (June 29, 2011, 10:42 AM)

Check into code for interstitials or drop ins and see if you can manage to tweak that to avoid any search engine penalties. Also, check the blackhat forums around as they often have problems like that already solved.

I had a problem recently and lurking around in the blackhat forums eventually solved it.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker