ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google+

<< < (43/48) > >>

JavaJones:
Facebook has the same "real name" policy and similar automated (and possibly also manual) systems to find and remove "fake" accounts. They've been deleting/removing fake accounts for years. The difference here is that Google has a lot of other related services, all of which come under your Google Profile (identity). With G+ if they lock your account, they're locking the entire profile, which is bad. As far as I know there's no such real name requirement for Gmail or other services, so it's not right for them to let G+'s name requirements spread virally through use of G+ to other Google services.

- Oshyan

mahesh2k:
I'm using fake profile name for about 2 years or so on FB. This is for facebook ads campaign. They know this already and allow that on their site. They're only deleting profiles which seems to be somehow threat to their system. Afterall there are hackers monitoring security of facebook.

As for google and privacy, check out their TOS.
11. Content license from you
11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.
11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.
11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.
--- End quote ---
I wonder why they ask for mobile number while signing up to their system these days. Not to recover account or something, but to create bubble around profile with real name and mobile number.

Compared to google, there is no such strict policy from facebook(as of now but soon there will be with SSL certificate on pages) and you can easily use their services for commercial reasons with pseudo-name.

Google is not only deleting bots on their G+ but also some genuine users for some random reasons with no explanation than "violation of services".

http://consumerist.com/2011/07/google-deletes-last-7-years-of-users-digital-life-shrugs.html

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/bsdnia

JavaJones:
Google's TOS is actually better (last I checked) than Facebook's as far as ownership and re-use of copyrighted material. And while FB may have let you keep your "fake" profile name and, according to you they know about it and allow it, their own written policies say otherwise as far as what's allowed:
http://www.facebook.com/terms.php
Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way... You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
--- End quote ---
Though there is some provision for "usernames", but it's not clear whether these are just for Pages or not. Maybe that's what your use falls under. G+ doesn't have functionality for business use yet but when it does obviously they will need to deal with the name issue to allow company registrations.

I believe Facebook also now asks for a mobile number when signing up (or at least it has asked me for mine recently) although I don't think it's required.

- Oshyan

mahesh2k:
G+ is creating special business pages and for that reason they don't allow business names on G+ as of now. Few blogs got their profiles deleted for the same reason. But this is not the case with facebook, that is why they're allowing pseudonames for business purpose(pages/groups) or ad campaigns. You can have "Tech Media Brian" or "Net.tv Andrew" with different account owner(or multiple admins) inside facebook page.

Google's TOS is actually better (last I checked) than Facebook's as far as ownership and re-use of copyrighted material.
--- End quote ---
Is there anything like "we have right to sell/use/modify your information as we please" from facebook ?

You're right, it asks for mobile phone number if there are more profiles login from same IP. If there is only one profile logged in from that ip then creating second or third doesn't trigger mobile number requirements(or maybe they allow to skip it). I am not sure how much is the limit before it asks.

nosh:
An interesting writeup by Jay Freeman, the guy behind Cydia.

My personal interaction with Google+, summarized.  :)
Spoiler

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version