ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google+

<< < (39/48) > >>

fenixproductions:
You need the internet for your real friends?
-Tuxman (July 16, 2011, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
We can make any statement ridiculous this way.

Let's go back few decades and discuss about:
- Do we need letters for our real friends?
- Do we need cars for them?
:D

Tuxman:
No, basically you just need yourself. Anyway, in the decades before Facebook no one dared to say "I can only have contact with my friends via ..".

mahesh2k:
Maybe that has been your experience, but it sure isn't mine. I probably have more real friends online than in meatspace, and more virtual friends long before I ever had access to an internet connection.
--- End quote ---
:D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You need the internet for your real friends?
--- End quote ---
2 cents.
My best friends are not in country anymore and there are no meas to contact them other than internet/phone. As for other friends, they judge you based on your income, physical appearance, religious belief, political inclination, lifestyle and geographical location. Maybe that i've such materialistic friends here but the reason i prefer virtual friends over materialistic one is that- they don't expect anything from me. That means a lot to me. Some of my friends in real life are completely different in persona. They try to portray their image as *cool* on FB when in reality they're totally different. So it's good to keep such friends in FB instead of wasting time with them in real life being part of their judgmental conservative cult.

fenixproductions:
No, basically you just need yourself.-Tuxman (July 16, 2011, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I disagree. Just by yourself you can only get imaginary friend :p

For real people you need to interact with them somehow. You need to communicate and how you are doing it is what truly matters. Listen to them, talk to them, shake your hands... smile. You need some methods and tools to do so. The quicker you find shared interests the stronger the bond may be. Simple letters, ICQ, email or FB are just tools - one more appealing than others. Of course, real contact is the most important thing here but not the only one. I don't need Internet to make friends or to keep them but I may need it to get the quickest possibility of contact.

If I had wife I would rather call her and ask about buying groceries when I am leaving my work, instead of going home, asking and making few more miles back for it.

If your ways of staying in touch are good for you then stay with them. Same way I just stay with FB.

[back to topic]
I just think there is nothing in G+ I could need there so far. I am not saying I will never go G+ 'cause there is small possibility that I may not be aware I may need something from there. I doubt it but not denying.

...Hm. I've just felt philosophically uncertain. Reason: I loudly reject HTML emails  :o

zridling:
Again, though, the simple advantage of the circles idea is that I can separate the people in my life based on their roles in relation to me. I can share and talk to my nieces and nephews in a clearly different way than I do than my mom and brothers, or even my friends with whom I talk politics. And when I talk to my tech friends, most of them aren't concerned with politics until it bumps up against tech issues (which grow by the year). Same goes for what I choose to share with the "public" on G+. You can sort of do the same with Facebook, but one of the first things people do when angry is to hack another's FB page.

Whereas Facebook is a hammer, G+ is more like a multi-tool. As for G+'s security, privacy, and censorship, we'll have to see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version