ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google+

<< < (38/48) > >>

JavaJones:
40hz, I agree that the handling of "not-really-friends" in G+ is way better. For me this was clear from the get-go in using the service but maybe I didn't articulate it well originally. So likewise I see this as being a potentially big win over Facebook. Being able to follow people without them following you (and vice verse), or putting people in circles that you don't really use or care about but acknowledges their existence and relationship to you (regardless of whether you care about said relationship), solves a fundamental problem of Facebook for pretty much everyone. The reason why so many people have 100s of "friends" when scientific research has shown that actually relating regularly to more than 100 people is pretty much impossible for most people to manage is because there's no way to distinguish between a "friend", an "acquaintance", and whatever else. This is why the Circles foundation of G+ is brilliant. Simple, yes, but why couldn't FB make this work before? I guess they just didn't care to. That's why competition is a great thing. :D

- Oshyan

app103:
What does Facebook offer? Virtual friends?
-Tuxman (July 16, 2011, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
You need the internet for your real friends?
-Tuxman (July 16, 2011, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Statements like that seem to imply that people you have met online are not real people, or can not be real friends. Virtual implies artificial.

Maybe that has been your experience, but it sure isn't mine. I probably have more real friends online than in meatspace, and more virtual friends long before I ever had access to an internet connection.

Yeh, if there only was some way to stay in contact with them (like ICQ/AIM/MSN/Y!IM/Jabber/... or e-mail or, hmm, ever heard of a phone or something?) ... sooo glad that we all have Facebook!  :D
-Tuxman (July 16, 2011, 11:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't see much difference between any of those. Except for phone, they are all free 3rd party online services in which you essentially are the product and not the customer.

Tuxman:
Most people in my favorite social network (called "real life") say that they "need Facebook to stay in contact with their real friends. Now I wonder what makes a "real friend" if the whole friendship is only maintained via Facebook or something similar?

When I was young, I did not have the internet, but I had real friends in cities I could not easily reach every day. Wondering how I managed that...

rgdot:
meatspace
-app103 (July 16, 2011, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D

40hz:
Yeh, if there only was some way to stay in contact with them (like ICQ/AIM/MSN/Y!IM/Jabber/... or e-mail or, hmm, ever heard of a phone or something?) ... sooo glad that we all have Facebook!  :D
-Tuxman (July 16, 2011, 11:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Tuxman - Sorry, I thought you asked if "You need the internet for your real friends?"

I don't equate the Internet with Facebook. I regularly use Skype and e-mail to keep in touch with friends and professional colleagues. Sometimes I also keep in touch via I2P webmail depending upon who the person is and where in the world they're located, or (lately) what's being discussed.

So in my case, yes - I do need the Internet for keeping in touch with my "real" (whatever that means) friends. :)

--------

BTW: I don't have a FB, or Twitter, or any other "social network" account. Nor do I plan on getting one. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version