ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google+

<< < (29/48) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Can I ask why people are hesitant to reveal who they are?

I just don't get it. Really. I don't mean to be an idiot about this. I just don't get it.
-Renegade (July 10, 2011, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't want people I do not know to be able to find out in 2020 what I have been doing when I was young.
-Tuxman (July 10, 2011, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I get the point of privacy and whatnot, but I never tried to keep online and reality separate. I don't put a ton of information out, but if you aggregated information from just a few websites, you could get a pretty good look into my "real" life. Yeah, it's probably not the smartest thing to do, but if someone digs up something years from now about me, I'll defend my viewpoint (even if it changed). And I'm not interesting enough to have to worry about someone sitting outside my door peering in the window in the wee hours of the night :P

40hz:
Can I ask why people are hesitant to reveal who they are?

I just don't get it. Really. I don't mean to be an idiot about this. I just don't get it.
-Renegade (July 10, 2011, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Deal with corporations, or get involved with political issues (in the United States at least), and you'll soon become enlightened as to why you might sometimes want a smaller profile up on the web.  :)

cmpm:
yeah, people want to put you in a box

pun intended, though quite real

cthorpe:
When I was a a middle school teacher, I worked to make sure anything you could find with a full name search was positive.  Of course, I was teaching at a school that had a 1:1 laptop program funded by Apple, so I was 100% sure that my students were online.

I didn't avoid giving my real name, as I need to be visible on the web.  I just tried to make sure I was in as much control as possible.  I think I spent more time doing SEO than most internet marketers.

Deozaan:
Can I ask why people are hesitant to reveal who they are?-Renegade (July 10, 2011, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can think of a couple. Not that I, myself, am currently worried about these examples:

All it takes is one crazy ex-girlfriend (or something similar) and you probably won't want them to be able to see the latest details of your life publicly displayed online.

People have also been known to have been fired for posting things online that had nothing to do with their employment, but that the employer thought might reflect poorly on the company.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version