topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google+  (Read 144804 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google+
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2011, 03:38 PM »
If google starts with app thingy then expect script kiddies and profile hacking, for which Orkut is already suffering from it. There are groups on orkut waiting for open G+ doors to run their script kiddies. Nothing will remain private or secure in such case. Using opensocial apps on orkut is so risky i don't see it'll be any secure in G+. Oh and i hate any social network using excessive flash/ASP combo, i hope G+ uses minimal of these two ugly ladies.  :mad:

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2011, 07:45 PM »
I got in, will try to find dc people :D

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2011, 08:30 PM »
Google has the potential to be far more intrusive then Facebook imo.
Facebook does not track my browsing history like Google as far as I know.

I've had no trouble stopping app invitations and games with Facebook.
The friend requests for apps must be approved be me.
I doubt that it matters to them or Facebook.
I can block seeing their activities with their stuff as well.

Not to put down G+ before it even gets started. Or defend Facebook.
Just that privacy and annoyance concerns me with how much power Google already has.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2011, 09:31 PM »
Hmm...

Google+: Circles + Sparks + Huddle + GMail

Microsoft: Skype + Live + Office360 + maybe Facebook

Now that Google's thrown down the gauntlet, is there any creditable news about Facebook seeking a champion yet?

I'm betting if Circles really takes off - FB will do just that.  8)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Circles are just a copy of Diaspora's "aspects", so if they are the reason to use Google+, you might prefer Diaspora instead...

Google is trying to copy Facebook now. Deleting profiles without a real name and stuff. So that's about the "alternative", huh?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2011, 10:53 AM »
^ Deleting profiles?  Mine doesn't have a real name, and my profile is still there...  when does this happen?  And where did you see indication that it would?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2011, 11:00 AM »
According to a couple of German websites, some profiles with an obviously faked name were removed. Oh, and online magazines are deleted anyway because "no business allowed yet". Sigh.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I heard that Google+ is now open for anyone to join, as long as you have a Google account. But I haven't found anything to verify it.

False alarm. Sorry.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2011, 11:36 AM »
At least the rumor that you need a Google Mail account has been proven wrong.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2011, 11:40 AM »
According to a couple of German websites, some profiles with an obviously faked name were removed.

Well that sucks, I really don't want to use my real name online. Nor will I (it's boring). Sure the G+ thing is a bit tempting to try - for the hell of it - Mainly because I completely ignored the last 500 fads... But I'll not be signing up with anything close to what it says on my drivers license.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2011, 11:49 AM »
Well, it works against spammers; and the main thing about "social networks" is to stay in touch with people who know you in real life. Anyway, it is dangerous to let Google know too much about you.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2011, 11:52 AM »
According to a couple of German websites, some profiles with an obviously faked name were removed.

Well that sucks, I really don't want to use my real name online. Nor will I (it's boring). Sure the G+ thing is a bit tempting to try - for the hell of it - Mainly because I completely ignored the last 500 fads... But I'll not be signing up with anything close to what it says on my drivers license.

+1 with that. A Google and Bing search of my first/last name returns a grand total of 6 valid hits.

This did not come about by accident. 

I'd like to keep it that way.  8)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2011, 12:22 PM »
Many tech blogs are reporting that google is going to rebrand blogger.com and videos feature for the sake of google+. So bye bye blogspot blogs  :down:

I came across one guy refuting this privacy issue with argument -"any person you send email to can make it public with forward button, isn't that privacy issue ? " ;D My answer - Privacy issue between 2 people and privacy leak done purposefully inside one network with billion profiles for the sake of ad money/search quality is totally irrelevant.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2011, 12:58 PM »

+1 with that. A Google and Bing search of my first/last name returns a grand total of 6 valid hits.

Shit, I just ran my name through Bing, and it says I'm a Photographer from Austrailia...??

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2011, 01:00 PM »
When I google my unique real name, the first result I get in most search engines is tuxman.de which is not related to my person at all.  ;D

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2011, 01:23 PM »
Private profiles will be removed, that's what was said I believe. In a way that's not really evil, why have a profile page when it's visible to zero people.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Private profiles will be removed, that's what was said I believe. In a way that's not really evil, why have a profile page when it's visible to zero people.
http://www.google.co...n&answer=1192471

Does private profile mean zero people or just friends?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2011, 01:56 PM »
I am 99.9% certain it means when the profile is invisible/zero people
Read last paragraph here for example
http://mashable.com/...lus-profiles-retire/

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2011, 02:47 PM »
According to a couple of German websites, some profiles with an obviously faked name were removed. Oh, and online magazines are deleted anyway because "no business allowed yet". Sigh.

I don't know what these german magazines were doing but...

http://gplus.to/wraith

You don't really think that's my first name do you?  And I've been on for over a week now- more than long enough for them to purge if they had any inclination to.  If they do so in the future, I'll update this... but I call shenanigans.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Basically, they were banned due to their violation of the "community guidelines".

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2011, 03:11 PM »
Basically, they were banned due to their violation of the "community guidelines".

Well, the TOS does say that you have to provide your name, and has always said that in some way or another, IIRC.  But I didn't then, and I'm not now.  I just don't want to be known on the web.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2011, 03:52 PM »

I used to be very concerned about stuff like people on the internet knowing my real name as well, so I have a lot of understanding for that desire. I guess I have just slowly come to the point where I don't really think it matters that much in the end.

Sure, potentially some nasty people could use the information for doing nasty stuff, but what are the odds anyway unless you are some well knows public character. Are they high enough that it is worth cutting yourself off from all the benefits?

And also, for most people it really isn't that hard to find out if you have google, whois, and the web archive at your hands.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2011, 05:07 PM »
So there is no such thing like "friends only" or "family only" profiles on G+ ? Crap.  :down:

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2011, 05:17 PM »
There's circles, at least.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2011, 05:37 PM »
Your name, your gender, and your profile photo are visible to anyone. Other than that it seems like every piece of information on your profile can be limited to specific circles, specific people, or only you. In the same way, posts you make can be limited to any combination of your circles and/or specific people.