topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google+  (Read 144485 times)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google+
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2011, 02:50 AM »
Well Goobook has something sticky and slimy to it commanding cautiousness.

FaceBoogle? :D

I am loving what I have seen of G+ so far btw, a lot of the ways they did things is how I wish FB would have worked, like the circles for instance.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:27 AM by Jibz »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2011, 06:19 AM »
Anyone else notice that all of Google's sites got the Google+ black bar today?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2011, 06:44 AM »
Or Fagoogle... Facoogle... Foogle... Fagle? Uh oh...

- Oshyan

I'd like to suggest they call it G-Spot.  :P

It's hot. It's relatively hard to get to. And it's certainly provoking enough heavy breathing to qualify.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:52 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2011, 11:36 AM »

It showed up for me a couple days ago. Not sure exactly. I suppose they're rolling it out slowly across different servers.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2011, 11:39 AM »

I've been seeing the black bar for a few days now, even before I got into G+. But now that I have G+ it now shows more G+ related stuff.

Weird thing was that the G+ bar in Gmail didn't show up until about a day after I was accepted into G+.

And for anyone interested, here's a link to my G+ profile.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2011, 12:09 PM »
I've been seeing the black bar for a few days now, even before I got into G+. But now that I have G+ it now shows more G+ related stuff.

Weird thing was that the G+ bar in Gmail didn't show up until about a day after I was accepted into G+.

And for anyone interested, here's a link to my G+ profile.

Challenge: Make a post with more "G+" in it! :D

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Or Fagoogle... Facoogle... Foogle... Fagle? Uh oh...

- Oshyan

I'd like to suggest they call it G-Spot:P

It's hot. It's relatively hard to get to. And it's certainly provoking enough heavy breathing to qualify.  ;D

BRILLIANT.

- Oshyan

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Anyways, I don't see how anyone with two brain cells can't figure out how to lock down their Facebook profile from unwanted eyes (though I have a lot of friends with one brain cell, apparently).
-wreckedcarzz (June 29, 2011, 07:59 PM)

It's not about figuring out how to do it- it's figuring out how to maintain it over all of their changes and resetting you to the lowest security setting.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Challenge: Make a post with more "G+" in it! :D

Challenge Accepted!!!

So far I think G+ is superior to Facebook in every way with one exception: Facebook has an advantage over G+ because you still need to get an invite to G+ before you can join.

G+ pretty much also replaces Twitter, in my opinion, since you can follow people on G+ and they don't even have to acknowledge that you exist, much less confirm or "add you back." All you need to know to follow someone is the link to their G+ profile and you can add them to your conveniently already created for you Following circle.

At first I didn't really know what to do with G+. But since JavaJones raved about it I looked into it a bit more. Also in that time I had a few friends who were able to accept my invitation to join so there are actually people I know for me to interact with on G+ now. I just wish I had more invitations to give out so more people I know and interact with using other social networking sites (or just IRL) could join G+.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2011, 02:54 PM »
I think that Google+ is definitely not "the Google's Facebook". It seems more an evolution of Wave, to me.
And that's probably a very nice thing! :)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2011, 03:20 PM »
Deo, good point about the "Following" thing being very Twitter-like. Yet another reason why this could take off if it can replace FB *and* Twitter. I don't actually see that happening, but I'm hopeful. ;)

Mark, I don't really see how G+ is much like Wave at all. It's very much like Facebook in fact, just better. :D

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Mark, I don't really see how G+ is much like Wave at all. It's very much like Facebook in fact,

Gotta agree. I tried Wave. I didn't understand what it was supposed to be before I got an account. And I still really didn't get what it was trying to do after I got an account. G+ looks pretty straightforward. Social apps with sensible bells & whistles added. No paradigm shift required. :)

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Uhm... I mean: Facebook was always about over-exposing and basically shouting & showing in public. Pretty logic, considering the initial target. And it worked well for them.

G+ is more focused, seems more like group conversations / collaborations / friendly talk-abouts. And that was Wave's target, or at least part of it.
I think the similarities with FB are more skin deep than substantial: while they appears similar (mostly in the UI), I'm already finding that I'm using them in very different ways.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Ah I see what you mean Mark, interesting and I think somewhat accurate point. However when you say the similarities with FB are skin-deep I think it's the other way around; the similarity with Wave is skin-deep in that it has that privacy and collaboration capability, but fundamentally as a tool it operates completely differently from Wave. It has no collaborative document development component whatsoever, no history/wiki aspect, no simultaneous anything. What it does have looks a lot like Facebook, that's all there is to it.

That being said as I mentioned the point about it having the ability to be more private and collaborative is important. What I want to point out though is that the beauty of it for me is G+ can be used almost exactly like FB if a user desires (aside apps, games, etc. at this point, but I'm sure that will come). In other words you can set it up to share everything with the world or all your friends automatically. For those people that want to "over-expose and basically shout and show in public", G+ can still do that. In fact it can do it better than FB because of the point Deo mentioned where you can "follow" someone without having to have their consent (Twitter-like). At the same time the beauty of it is you aren't limited to FB's confusing and dysfunctional security and group systems. The Circles system seems to work brilliantly, is very intuitive (for me at least), and allows you as much or as little control as you want *on demand*. So you can choose on a per-post basis to share with whomever you want, but you can also setup reasonable defaults to avoid making posting too much of a hassle (e.g. if it required you to manually fill out who to share with each time).

I continue to be impressed and every additional person I know that joins makes it an even better experience. I want to do more Hangouts! So far the only successful one was the test I mentioned in my original review (this is due to lack of participants rather than any issue with the Hangout functionality btw).

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Facebook was always about over-exposing and basically shouting & showing in public.

Umm...I'm not a Facebook member. And I don't personally care for it all that much. But I think that's painting with an overly broad brush. I've seen a lot of good things accomplished through savvy use of Facebook.

My GF is involved in horse rescue They buy and find homes for decent serviceable horses sitting in auction "kill pens" in order to prevent them from being shipped to Canada where they're slaughtered for their meat. Some of what her group's auction spotters see is pretty sad. Especially when they see how some of the horses in the pens arrive with show-braided manes and tails. Obviously somebody wanted their horse to look pretty so it would put in a good appearance and attract a decent buyer. You can only imagine what the parents told their kid when they sent those horses away. ("She'll be all right honey. She's going to go to a place where they'll find somebody nice to take care of her and show her just like you did. She's gonna be ok. Promise.")

The group started with fewer than thirty or so people. In just a two years it's grown to 20,279 members (as of today), with more joining every week. They purchase, find homes for, and ship between 20-40 horses every week. And just last week some chance discussion (and local amateur investigation) led to the shutting down of a bogus horse rescue operation. Now they're working with the police and DA's office where the place was located to help in securing a criminal conviction for animal cruelty and operating a fraudulent charitable organization. Talk about crowd sourcing!

And they're not alone. A lot of responsible political action groups, local news agencies, businesses large and small, and indie artists use Facebook very effectively in ways that transcend the usual Newsweek "anti-social 14-year old bully" stereotype.

And my GF would be ROFLHAO to see me speaking up for Facebook right now. ;D

G+ is more focused, seems more like group conversations / collaborations / friendly talk-abouts.

I'm gonna have to take your word for now. I haven't been able to see it yet. I'm still waiting for Google to send me an invite. :)

that was Wave's target, or at least part of it.

I did not get that at all from using Wave. Maybe that's what they hoped it would become. All I saw was people floundering around trying to build some momentum and figure out something useful to do with it. Maybe I was just too un-hip to "get it." But if so, I certainly wasn't alone.

I think the similarities with FB are more skin deep than substantial: while they appears similar (mostly in the UI), I'm already finding that I'm using them in very different ways.

Despite not having seen it, I think you're spot on with that. It does seem to approach the whole social-net thing in a much more focused and structured way. Which is smart. Because if it didn't, what would be the point?

Of course it's small wonder when you consider the resources Google has at its disposal (and the fact they're standing on the shoulders of others) that they'd come up with something better. Still, I'm surprised they're using the same "build the buzz" roll-out strategy they used for Wave. All that did was get a lot of people pissed off at them. When they finally opened the gates for general admission it was already too late.

I don't think it will go quite that way for G+. There's a lot in there to like if what it says on the wrapper is true. And it's much more comprehensible a paradigm since it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Either way, this is sorta like me getting into a discussion about what Angelina Jolie is like in bed. I've heard some things. And since I have related experiences in my background, I can sorta surmise - and possibly extrapolate. But there's just no way I can actually know.

Which is fine. I'm in no rush.

(For the G+ invite at least.) ;) 8)

What AJ would probably say to me.
Jolie.jpg

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:24 PM by 40hz, Reason: fixed spellling »

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Facebook was always about over-exposing and basically shouting & showing in public.

But I think that's painting with an overly broad brush. I've seen a lot of good things accomplished through savvy use of Facebook.

You're right. I probably could have choosen better words! :-[
In fact I wasn't meaning that in a bad way, but just pointing out that most of the time when you use FB you post a text or a pic to all; and that was by design (the whole wall concept), because FB was meant to be a tool for finding people, and in general targeted to large groups.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:17 PM by Mark0 »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2011, 07:30 PM »
@Mark0 - no offense taken.  :) If you had asked me what I thought of FB prior to my GF's involvement with the horse rescue people, I would have used the exact same words - and meant them exactly the way you didn't. But life is a learning process. And FB wouldn't be the first thing I was wrong about. Nor will it likely be the last. ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:32 PM by 40hz »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2011, 08:22 PM »
And Facebook fires back its first shot: http://techcrunch.co...tnership-with-skype/
Not that this is necessarily a direct response to G+ and Hangouts, after all it's a logical step and who knows if FB had advanced warning of what G+ would include (likely they did though). Still, it's going to compete directly with Hangouts and given Skype's even more proven tech vs. Google's for video and audio chat, it could be interesting. That being said group video chat is currently a paid feature in Skype. The only way they're really going to knock G+ down a notch in this department is if they make it free *on Facebook*. Woooah Nelly that'd be something. If they do that, it will tell you just how serious a thread FB sees G+ as (implying they likely paid Skype enough to make it worth their while).

- Oshyan

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2011, 10:18 PM »
And Facebook fires back its first shot: http://techcrunch.co...tnership-with-skype/
Not that this is necessarily a direct response to G+ and Hangouts, after all it's a logical step and who knows if FB had advanced warning of what G+ would include (likely they did though). Still, it's going to compete directly with Hangouts and given Skype's even more proven tech vs. Google's for video and audio chat, it could be interesting. That being said group video chat is currently a paid feature in Skype. The only way they're really going to knock G+ down a notch in this department is if they make it free *on Facebook*. Woooah Nelly that'd be something. If they do that, it will tell you just how serious a thread FB sees G+ as (implying they likely paid Skype enough to make it worth their while).

- Oshyan

With MS having an interest in FB and Skype, I wonder if there is anything else going on behind the scenes...

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2011, 10:38 PM »
I wondered that too Ren, but it seems like this deal would have had to be in the plans for a while (not that the MS+Skype deal wasn't, but...). So I dunno...

- Oshyan

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2011, 08:28 PM »
I just found out about http://gplus.to/ which creates a tinyURL to your G+ profile.

Here's mine: http://gplus.to/deozaan

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2011, 07:43 AM »
G+ has taken up all of my social browsing time.  Seriously.  It is almost perfect and the Android app is seamless. My concerns:

When it opens up to everyone, will it become as banal as Facebook?  Grammar-less morons who do nothing but play games?

G+ has plans to add games.  Coming soon to your stream, Farmville for G+. 

Right now it is fairly exclusive and the posts are interesting if not 60% G+ commentary. When this thing opens up and gets games, those of us that love it are screwed as it comes down to the level of Facebook. Other than that, I absolutely love it, transferred my Facebook contacts to G+, and haven't sent 5 minutes on either Facebook or Twitter since I got into G+.

I highly recommend it to everyone.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Live Product Announcement Wednesday, July 6, 7:00pm
(in 3½ hours from "now")

http://apps.facebook...9e6131d9b&ref=nf
-facebook
2011-07-06_152958.gif
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:34 AM by Curt »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2011, 02:12 PM »
I'm hopeful that when Games and other crap come to G+, Google will have nice ways of saying "I don't want any app invites from my friends. Ever. No, seriously. None."...

- Oshyan

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2011, 03:07 PM »
I'm hopeful that when Games and other crap come to G+, Google will have nice ways of saying "I don't want any app invites from my friends. Ever. No, seriously. None."...

+1 Amen!

I'd also like to see restrictions on email use, as in, yeah... I blocked your app... now please stop spamming me. No. Really. I mean it. Stop. No. I don't want to sign up again. Really. Leave me alone.

Getting email notifications while you're using the application is fine, but if you try to "get out"? There needs to be good faith on the part of developers there. Facebook isn't enforcing that.

(FYI -- Once a developer has access to your Facebook basic information, and email address, they've got it. They can use it whenever they want, even if you opt out or block their application.)

However, I don't think we can expect much in the way of improvements there... Just kind of hoping against hope...