ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google+

<< < (31/48) > >>

Armando:
For me file it under layered security practice. The obscurity layer, granted not the best...but still worth using. Just because the information can be put together doesn't mean it needs to be prepackaged, preassembled, and printed on a T-shirt with a freaking bow on top. Make'em work for it. ;)
-Stoic Joker (July 11, 2011, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly how I see it. I.e.: Anybody who really wants to know who is Armando and where he lives will probably be able to. However, it won't be readily available. It's wise to separate the various facets of your identity with various pseudo, scramble paths a bit for those who aren't necessarily your friends -- not that I have any enemies...

Stoic Joker:
If someone has a web site, and a link in their signature in a forum, then you've basically got their info.
-Renegade (July 11, 2011, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Quite true for many (if not most) of us. But for the average Yum-Yack (FB class luser) whois amounts to wizardry.

mahesh2k:
I don't know how much recruiters hunt for personal information in other countries or HR/Peers use the personal  stuff posted on FB or Tweet in their favor, but here in this part of the world keeping office folks away from FB/Twitter account does help. Other than that people try to put you in box -religious/political. If you're not dancing on their tunes then you're pretty much socially fooked up. So far i have managed to keep social life- ' offline and online' separate. I had trouble with that in past so i prefer to keep things anonymous. I do have few places where i use my real name+URL(like DC) but 99% these are the safe places and don't lead to much of personal information about me. Here we have weird social environment, people don't care about privacy on the net and share a lot of *real* information, on the other hand they hesitate to share anything about their life if you meet them offline, which is funny IMO.

rxantos:
I must be getting old, as I do not understand why exactly the appeal of sharing all your information with a single company. Specially when this company is having more information on everyone than a state intelligence agency.

I can understand the appeal for companies, but certainly not for individuals.

mahesh2k:
Check post by Pierre Far

https://plus.google.com/112634435897997676886/posts/GpKh6iDE4ci

Also to take it from a searcher's perspective, authorship is a way for us to communicate to the searcher that "person X is the author of this search result, and here is their photo". In this situation, the searcher is best served with a photo of a person, not , for example, a cartoon or a car or, like me, my cat. In short: it's your content and we want your photo next to it!
--- End quote ---

I'm sure anonymous affiliate marketers, web site owners are now forced to sign up with google plus for rel=author thingy and for the better search engine listing. This is like taking over the web by google because large percentage of web users using google and advertisers and other publishers having no alternative than revealing their strategic sites or products tied to single profile. I'm sure there are many other issues with using real picture or attaching google profile to rel=author tag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version