ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

LulzSec: Folding up its tent - or merely going to ground?

(1/2) > >>

40hz:

This in from  Thom Holwerda over at OSNews.com:

LulzSec Calls it Quits

Well, after 50 days of causing amok on the web, the guys and/or girls behind LulzSec have called it quits last night. After hacking into the systems of various Arizona law enforcement agencies and releasing countless internal documents, they published a statement on Pastebin yesterday, dumping yet another boatload of data on The Pirate Bay, and announcing their disbanding.
It sure has been an interesting ride - and, despite my reservations about their actions, surely a fun one. Despite their actions and tactics being quite questionable, there's no denying that they have had their impact - for instance, an Australian ISP has announced not to participate in the voluntary net censorship Down Under out of fear of LulzSec. Call it what you want, but I call that a major win.

In any case, I hardly doubt this is the last we'll hear from these folks. It's clear LulzSec and Anonymous have struck cords all around the world, and I'm sure either others will take it from here, or the same guys will emerge in some other corner of the web under a different name.

--- End quote ---

Read the rest of the article here.

Deozaan:
Even if e.g. I don't want an Australian ISP to censor the net, I can't approve of the methods used by Lulzsec in stopping them.

The ends don't justify the means.

Josh:
Sounds like they know they are close to getting caught...

Renegade:
Even if e.g. I don't want an Australian ISP to censor the net, I can't approve of the methods used by Lulzsec in stopping them.

The ends don't justify the means.
-Deozaan (June 28, 2011, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not so sure... They really believe that DDOS is peaceful protest, and in many ways I can understand that.

Remember, in some places protesting is equivalent to signing the warrant for yourself to disappear in the literal sense.

I'm all for civil disobedience and peaceful protest, but in the digital age, I think we need to rethink what that means. Is DDOS a legitimate tactic?

I think we've been through that discussion though:

DDOS Ethics

I am not willing to rule out DDOS or even violent revolution. But I think the situation matters. So, I'm simply not willing to buy into "justice is blind" or any of that, as it inevitably ends up as some twisted abomination in a malformed set of laws. Case by case seems to be the way I'm leaning lately. (I do tend to change my mind from time to time -- I'm easily swayed by better arguments or evidence than those I know/am aware of.)

As for LulzSec, they're only shifting forms. They're dropping the name, so it's business as usual.

40hz:
Sounds like they know they are close to getting caught...
-Josh (June 28, 2011, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh I have no doubt they (or some of them at least) will be brought in very shortly.

It's all well and good for the hack culture to dis governmental computing and network security groups. But when all is said and done, The Man is no slouche when it comes to tech, access, or resources. And he has the cops on his side. So he's not limited to cyber weapons or legal niceties when he's provoked. Governments don't get mad. When they get really pissed they send in a Special Ops team. Or bomb something.

It's your basic rock-paper-scissors scenario: gun beats laptop in a F2F confrontation. :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version