ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Software Revenue/Licensing Thoughts

<< < (2/6) > >>

Renegade:
Actually that is a very common licensing scheme, just not that common on Windows systems.  It is, however, the basis of the In-App purchasing scheme of many phone apps.  Provide a basic software for the phone, with in App purchases or bundles for "premium" content.  What defines premium is largely defined by the content providers themselves, and - at least for games - tends to be limited severely to only cosmetic changes (we can discuss the merits and reasons for that in another thread if it matters), but it does exist.  Just a thought for you....
-steeladept (June 29, 2011, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm aware of the "item purchase" model for games, though it is kind of different, it is very similar in a lot of ways. Basically, it's the purchase of content vs. functionality.

Really, I think the content model is a much better model, as that's what seems to be driving a lot of software lately (the last few years).

steeladept:
For games, yes, but it is also common now for non-game apps.  For example some of the utility apps are free to download with a few of their apps, but have in-app purchases available to expand on the "toolbox" of utilities.  That, from what I understand, is exactly what  you were talking about.

Renegade:
For games, yes, but it is also common now for non-game apps.  For example some of the utility apps are free to download with a few of their apps, but have in-app purchases available to expand on the "toolbox" of utilities.  That, from what I understand, is exactly what  you were talking about.
-steeladept (June 29, 2011, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty much. I've not seen any toolbox/suite setups like that yet though. Do you happen to have a link to one that's setup like that?

steeladept:
I believe AppBox is setup like that, though I am not sure.  It has been a while since I looked at new software - I have enough old software I don't know how to use yet  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
I believe AppBox is setup like that, though I am not sure.  It has been a while since I looked at new software - I have enough old software I don't know how to use yet  :Thmbsup:
-steeladept (June 29, 2011, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm confused... I can't tell whether it is $4.99, $1.99, or $0.99, but it looks like it's $1.99. And I'm not sure if you get everything in it or not. One review talked about it being a "dollar store", but the metaphor is ambiguous.

It looks like you get everything for one price (from another review).

But anyways -- yeah -- that looks like it could be the same type of deal. e.g. Get 10 tools for $0.99 with 20 more available as options.

I know what you mean about looking at new software -- I'm pretty reluctant to try anything new anymore unless I've got a very real need.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version