Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 27, 2014, 10:12:54 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Facts about Facts?  (Read 1906 times)
cmpm
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 23, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »

An interesting article, to me anyway, maybe you too.
Some are questionable, that's why the ?.

27 Science Fictions That Became Science Facts In 2012

http://www.buzzfeed.com/d...became-science-facts-in-2
jadinolf
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:42:30 PM »

Well, it looks like a good read

Thanks

Printed on 100% recycled bytes
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:43:53 PM »

The solar power panels at $0.40 per watt look very good! cheesy

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »

Veddy interrrestink.  (That works better verbally than visually, methinks  Grin.)

Can't ya just imagine what tract housing would look like with that 3D printer?  Or what FEMA might - I did say might! - do with it?

And at my age, some of the prosthetic stuff is starting to look really attractive!  (Sixty-ninth birthday today, so I'm now officially sixty-eight (68)(and, fortunately, still counting) .)

But I have to wonder.  With the robot(s), driverless cars, pilotless spacecraft, and brain hacking,  how much longer are we going to be around/tolerated  undecided tongue?!?

Make a good day ... barn
TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

0 - 60 ... then back to 0 again!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 07:06:33 PM »

Most of that stuff was just "kinda neat", but feels a bit peripheral to how regular life feels. The winner of the article is the Driverless Car. That's the one I think will lead to wholesale cultural adjustments. (But can they handle NY Cabbies using legally-questionable moves!?)
barney
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »

Most of that stuff was just "kinda neat", but feels a bit peripheral to how regular life feels. The winner of the article is the Driverless Car. That's the one I think will lead to wholesale cultural adjustments. (But can they handle NY Cabbies using legally-questionable moves!?)

If the driverless cars are built with any kind of failsafe functionality, life will definitely slow down - it'll take three (3) time as long to get almost anywhere  tongue.

Make a good day ... barn
Tinman57
Charter Member

Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »

And then there are all the science "facts" that they taught us in school years ago that are now science "fiction"....

((((TINMAN))))
barney
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »

And then there are all the science "facts" that they taught us in school years ago that are now science "fiction"....

Maybe more like science friction ... it just slows things down  Grin.

Make a good day ... barn
MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »

Maybe more like science friction ... it just slows things down  Grin.

That reminds me. It's time to take a brake.

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 03:20:27 AM »

Sixty-ninth birthday today
Is that a fact? tongue

Congrats, Barn, beerchug "Make a good day..." smiley

MilesAhead

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »

And at my age, some of the prosthetic stuff is starting to look really attractive!  (Sixty-ninth birthday today, so I'm now officially sixty-eight (68)(and, fortunately, still counting)

Sounds like you are counting down. Do you have some kind of Benjamin Button thing going on?  smiley

- MilesAhead
barney
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »

And at my age, some of the prosthetic stuff is starting to look really attractive!  (Sixty-ninth birthday today, so I'm now officially sixty-eight (68)(and, fortunately, still counting)

Sounds like you are counting down. Do you have some kind of Benjamin Button thing going on?  smiley

Nope.  Birthdays start at year zero (0) - the date you come out of the womb  Wink - but our age reflects the number of years we've been alive, so we're all one (1) year younger than our most recent birthday count  smiley.

Make a good day ... barn
cmpm
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »

I think it's that you have completed 69 years and now into your 70th.
MilesAhead

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »

Eastern Age Reckoning

I don't know if I agree with the Lunar New Year aspect. But 1 year of age at birth seems more reasonable than 0 since the gestation period is 9 months.  Maybe on the first anniversary of one's birth a person should be considered 1.75??

Also your method has the detrimental effect of requiring a husband to get his wife an anniversary gift on his wedding day.

Instead of kissing the bride he gives her a gift certificate to Bloomies.  smiley

- MilesAhead
barney
Charter Member

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 02:09:11 PM »

I think it's that you have completed 69 years and now into your 70th.

Nope, I've completed sixty-eight (68), but that was the sixty-ninth birthday when you count the original date of birth.  It's an awkward concept, but it is, in line with this topic, fact  tongue.

Make a good day ... barn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.044s | Server load: 0.02 ]