ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Install Win2000 in SATA Drive for a Dual Boot

<< < (2/2)

Shades:
If memory serves me right, nLite will allow you to create a new setup disk that includes the drivers you have downloaded for your motherboard. Personally I build several WinXP discs like that and it works like a charm.

That program is powerful and allows you to set a lot of things. Don't do that unless you know what you are doing. Their forum and FAQ are quite helpful. Its default settings are set so it doesn't change anything and you have to enable the sections that will allow for the changes. Practically foolproof...

Ath:
I build several WinXP discs like that
-Shades (June 27, 2011, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, XP would be no problem, but the OP is talking about Windows 2000, and I guess he'd better stay away from that misery :-\
AFAICS, nLite doesn't support Win 2000. Should have checked better, it does support Win 2000. :-[
But my opinion doesn't change:
Thy should not use Windows 2000 for general purpose computing in these days of internet threats that require a secure OS and proper security measures.

Shades:
I agree with Ath.

Having said so, it is possible to properly wall off Windows 2000. As a result it isn't the friendly OS Hulkbuster remembers anymore, rendering the OS useless for the web. 

However, when it is installed on a standalone PC (or virtual machine with networking disabled), I don't see as much issues as Ath does.

Then again, nostalgia about the OS may have colored my opinion too rosy...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version