topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google's Periodic Table of APIs & Developer Products  (Read 5011 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google's Periodic Table of APIs & Developer Products
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:57 AM »
[via Jean-Louis Gassée]

Google periodic table.jpg
http://code.google.com/more/table/

Would love to see DC do something like this! I like the table more than the article, and while Jean-Louis Gassée makes some valid points based on the history of big, fat software megaliths, Gassée's premise is based on "could" and the fact that he thinks 13 tabs in Gmail settings are overwhelming (really?). He does strike at the heart of Google's weaknesses -- underestimating Facebook, missing Twitter altogether, and the bigger Google gets, the bigger target (as in threat) they are of governments around the globe.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google's Periodic Table of APIs & Developer Products
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:21 AM »
Is elements half-life taken into consideration here?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 05:51 AM »
@fenix:
Ha! Google just dumped their Health Records and PowerMeter Services.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:55 AM »
Speaking of Google, here's a good NYTimes piece on combating adsense spam from content farms, the very trash that is hitting Kindles via Amazon:
http://opinionator.b...les-war-on-nonsense/

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:38 AM »
I came to this thread hoping to find some new information about Google's deprecated Translate API.  Didn't find it, but I loved the extremely interesting article about content farmers and Google's efforts to combat them with Panda.  Thanks very much, Zaine, for calling attention to it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:01 AM »
I just noticed that AdMob belongs to Google... Jeez... Nothing like spinning off a new company to do all the evil for you. They have a lot of outright deceptive ads running. They're not the only ones though. I wrote up a bit about one here:

http://cynic.me/2011...-ipad-2-a-mobile-ad/

The scam is to get people to subscribe to services using their phone, but mask as much of the legalese as possible. Their bill is just $40 higher every month... Yikes.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:55 AM »
@fenix:
Ha! Google just dumped their Health Records and PowerMeter Services.
That's not all:
http://www.the-digit...ogle-translate-apis/

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Google reminds me of one of those Gordon Ramsey episodes where the chef got creative and threw everything on the menu, thinking that would bring in business. And while customers (users?) are looking for coherence, Google's giving them little upon which to set their future. At least with Apple, the brand loyalty sees them through mistakes (Final Cut Pro X, ouch!).

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Google is more like a modern-day Xerox Labs, except they actually *publish* and make available a good portion of what they tinker with in the labs. To me this is *awesome*, even if some (or perhaps many) of these services/systems eventually go away. With the old Xerox, many inventions that were later commercialized by others simply sat in their labs or were only implemented in very limited high-end commercial systems. Of course this was at least partly a symptom of the times where generalized consumer computing was not a major reality. Still, whether Xerox would have been doing what Google is doing today or not, I am appreciative that Google *does*. It means we get to play with a lot of things that would not otherwise have seen the light of day from most other companies, and again even though some go away eventually, I'd rather have had the opportunity - so that if nothing else others can be inspired to follow in their foot steps *if* the ideas are truly viable - than to have never been able to test myself whether an idea was actually useful to me.

- Oshyan