Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 01, 2014, 08:53:48 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Some shortcut keys don't work anymore.  (Read 7786 times)
Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 25, 2011, 05:07:18 PM »

It might be something in my setup -- as nobody complained -- but :

- Ctrl+Left or Alt+Left, Ctrl+Right or Alt+Right, to either delete last word/subdir OR  autocomplete, doesn't work anymore
- Also, Ctrl+Shift+Left Ctrl+Shift+Right, for word selection don't work either.

... They used to work and noticed they didn't a few days go. My cursor just moves from left to right or the reverse.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »

i may have broken some things in adding standard hotkeys for alt+left+right.

ctrl+Backspace is for deleting the last word, tab should autocomplete.

can others chime in here?
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »

I never use these key combinations but ...
+1 What Armando said

(CRL-SHIFT-LEFT or RIGHT jumps by word but doesn't select)

TAB and CTRL-BACKSPACE work as you say, mouser.

Chris
Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:56:57 PM »

i may have broken some things in adding standard hotkeys for alt+left+right.

ctrl+Backspace is for deleting the last word, tab should autocomplete.

Thanks Chris and mouser. Yes, I should've mentioned that ctrl+Backspace and tab still work. It's the other key combinations that don't.

(Just to restate: I used to use alt+left/right to delete/autocomplete and those don't work anymore. And as cranio said, "Ctrl+Shift-LEFT or RIGHT jumps by word but doesn't select".)

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 10:59:41 PM »

the question is.. do they need to be made to select?
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 11:13:56 PM »

it's pretty much a standard behaviour in modern text processors and one expects it, so they  probably should...
At the same time, if they don't, it's not a big deal : ctrl+backspace allows one to obtain the same results + quicker : delete full words. Full words selection in farr is probably mostly used for deletion/substitution, but some might use it in cut/copy/paste operations... [Edit: that said... I don't know ! The only thing I know is that I tend to expect it...)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:16:13 PM by Armando » Logged

Glenn Gould
ewemoa
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 03:56:59 AM »

- Ctrl+Left or Alt+Left, Ctrl+Right or Alt+Right, to either delete last word/subdir OR  autocomplete, doesn't work anymore
Hmmm...I thought Ctrl+Left / Ctrl+Right were for move cursor to beginning of previous word / next word.  That's what I'd expect, though I'm not sure what they used to do.

I'm not sure what Alt+Left and Alt+Right did previously.  FWIW, these don't seem to do anything for me in Notepad or Wordpad.  In Internet Explorer's location field, they seem to lead to the backward / forward page behavior.

Quote from: Armando
- Also, Ctrl+Shift+Left Ctrl+Shift+Right, for word selection don't work either.
Confirmed here that they don't work for selection -- just lead to motion.  My expectation for them would be to select what would be deleted by Ctrl+Backspace / Ctrl+Delete respectively.

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 05:44:26 AM »

the question is.. do they need to be made to select?
As a computer user, I'd say yes. I expect these shortcuts to work in all programs and I'm very used to using them. Even in mac, it was one of the first shortcuts I've learned to use and I really miss them when working in the console and in vim.

skajfes
Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »

I am not sure what Alt-Left should do, but as in text editors - ctrl + left or right should move the cursor one word forward or back. ctrl + shift + left or right should move the cursor one word forward or back and select the text. ctrl + backspace should delete the word left of the cursor, and ctrl+delete should delete the word after the cursor.

I would also like to note that FARR interprets croatian characters "šđčćž" as word separators. However, it is not that big of a deal for me as I don't use those characters in filenames or application names.

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »

Hmmm...I thought Ctrl+Left / Ctrl+Right were for move cursor to beginning of previous word / next word.  That's what I'd expect, though I'm not sure what they used to do.

I'm not sure what Alt+Left and Alt+Right did previously.  FWIW, these don't seem to do anything for me in Notepad or Wordpad.  In Internet Explorer's location field, they seem to lead to the backward / forward page behavior.

Just to clarify, this is from the farr help file:

Ctrl+Left or Alt+Left, Ctrl+Backspace
 Delete last word (or subdir) in search edit box

Tab or Ctrl+Right or Alt+Right
 Autocomplete subdirectory in search edit box

Glenn Gould
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »

Just to clarify, this is from the farr help file:

Ctrl+Left or Alt+Left, Ctrl+Backspace
 Delete last word (or subdir) in search edit box

Tab or Ctrl+Right or Alt+Right
 Autocomplete subdirectory in search edit box
Aha, in Advanced Use -> Hotkey and Shortcut Summary!  Thanks for pointing this out smiley

My updated preference / vote:

• Ctrl+Left / Ctrl+Right should navigate to previous / next beginning of word boundaries
  • Alt+Left / Alt+Right -- previous behavior / documented behavior (I don't think there's some common behavior in other apps for these)
  • Cttrl+Backspace / Ctrl+Delete should delete to previous / next beginning of word boundaries
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »

Thanks for that summary. I agree with those preferences.
And let's not forget that too:

Ctrl+Shift+left, Ctrl+Shift+Right  : move the cursor one word forward/back and select the text

Glenn Gould
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 06:01:18 PM »

Thanks for the reminder smiley

Own updated preference summary is now:

• Ctrl+Left / Ctrl+Right - navigate to closest left / right "beginning of word" boundary
  • Ctrl+Shift+Left / Ctrl+Shift+Right - select from initial cursor position to closest left / right "beginning of word" AND navigate to the corresponding spot that Ctrl+Left / Ctrl+Right would
  • Ctrl+Backspace / Ctrl+Delete - removal of text between initial cursor position and closest left / right "beginning of word" boundary
  • Alt+Left / Alt+Right - previous / documented behavior
Nod5
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »

Consider adding this old request to the list:
Ctrl+Enter - launch selected (or first result if inputbox has focus) and stay open.
http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=11791.0
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 01:49:13 AM »

I'd also like to add my vote for Ctrl + Shift + Left / Right making a selection. I find the fact that FARR doesn't do that very confusing.

Please also note that the "word boundary algorithm" allows for some improvement. As it seems, non-English characters (like äöü) are considered to be word boundary characters.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:34:31 AM by phitsc » Logged

ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 03:02:07 AM »

I hope you meant Ctrl + Shift + Left / Right smiley
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 04:35:25 AM »

I hope you meant Ctrl + Shift + Left / Right smiley

I did indeed! Thanks for the heads up.

Corrected in above post.

Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 12:12:55 PM »

+1...  smiley

Glenn Gould
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 05:51:44 PM »

Mouser : I just can't get use to that strange behaviour : shift+L/R arrows selects, ctrl+shift+ L/R arrows doesn't...  I found that I don't use them only to delete, but to select and copy. Can we expect to get this fixed in the next release ? It would be great. Thanks.

Glenn Gould
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »

Consider adding this old request to the list:
Ctrl+Enter - launch selected (or first result if inputbox has focus) and stay open.
http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=11791.0

As a recent convert to using Ctrl+# on a keyboard with no numeric key pad, I can appreciate this feature request more.

+1
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 05:13:19 AM »

I hope you don't mind me bumping this thread.

Is there a reason why Ctrl + Shift + Left / Right should *not* also do a selection?

Please also consider fixing the word-boundary bug I report above.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.043s | Server load: 0.09 ]