topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Install Win2000 in SATA Drive for a Dual Boot  (Read 5153 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Install Win2000 in SATA Drive for a Dual Boot
« on: June 27, 2011, 02:18 AM »
Hello folks,
                   i wont beat around the bush but i want to install Win2000 for a Dual Boot , my Primary OS is Win xp and i had Win xp Media Center 2005 on my Second Drive i.e, D: , but for some reason i kind of fell its only Xp with very few whistles and bells, plus i can't get it to update it.
         That is no reason but i want Win 2000 in my dual partition and i do know that a user needs to copy backup NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM somewhere like floppy or usb disk. Then after the Boot to Win 2000 a user need to copy/paste these file to Win 2000 D: and then Xp would be bootable from BOOT MANAGER.

But i tried this method but Win 2000 during Setup: Win 2000 doesn't recognise D:  since its a SATA Disc: it does show three partition D: and E: are show as unpartioned or unrecognised and when i proceed to install Win 2000 on D: it would prepare itself to install on C: ( On one occassion i had to quickly resent to prevent complete wipeout of C:) Any Suggestion as to how i would perform Insallation of Win 2000 on D: that too on  a SATA  Disc.

Any help from  anyone who have performed this task: i would reamin greatful.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Install Win2000 in SATA Drive for a Dual Boot
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:41 AM »
You should obtain a Win2000 driver for your SATA controller, or you won't be able to clear this. It should be placed on a floppy drive, as that's the only way to add a disk-IO driver to Win2000, AFAICS.

Any particular compelling reason for using Win 2000? It's no longer updated by Microsoft (even the successor WinXP is declared 'end of life') and lots of modern software (even virusscanners...) won't work on it, so I'd avoid it like the plague. For (software)testing purposes you could install it in a virtual PC like VMWare or VirtualBox.

On modern hardware XP is as fast as W2000, or at least not noticeable slower, if you set it to Classic Windows look instead of showing all graphics bells and whistles, and XP does have decent hardware-driver support in contrary to Win2000.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 02:55 AM »
You should obtain a Win2000 driver for your SATA controller, or you won't be able to clear this. It should be placed on a floppy drive, as that's the only way to add a disk-IO driver to Win2000, AFAICS.

Any particular compelling reason for using Win 2000? It's no longer updated by Microsoft (even the successor WinXP is declared 'end of life') and lots of modern software (even virusscanners...) won't work on it, so I'd avoid it like the plague. For (software)testing purposes you could install it in a virtual PC like VMWare or VirtualBox.

On modern hardware XP is as fast as W2000, or at least not noticeable slower, if you set it to Classic Windows look instead of showing all graphics bells and whistles, and XP does have decent hardware-driver support in contrary to Win2000.

Hello Ath can you describe how can i obtain Win 2000 Driver for SATA  controller, and is it possible to put that on a USB pendrive rather than a floppy Disc my CPU doesn't have a Floppy Disc, i know Win 2000 is kind of obsolete in this day of modern Computing but it really brings back nostalgia which i used to get using Win 98 and 2000 just for personal preference : but 48 % of Business computer is still Win 2000 whicle XP being 37 %, but that not the reason, as i already mentioned.
     Yeah i could install that on a Virtual PC but the Display, Graphic and the Printer Drivers are still not recognised by Virtual PC and although i would still use XP for browsing and testing softwares, printing letters etc...... and i do have a dedicated Backup in case of a OS failure, thats not a issue.  Its still for personal preferences,  just got wonder that a man's desire and wants are never satisfied.

But Ath could show the procedure, to obtain the Win 200 Drivers for SATA controller and the proper structure to install them while installing Win 2000 on D: is a routine work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
My Disc is WDC WD3200AAJS Western Digital 320 GB
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:10 AM »
You need a driver for the SATA controller (probably on the mainboard), not for the diskdrive. I wouldn't know where to start, other that the manufacturer of your mainboard. And you can't put it on an USB drive, AFAIK.

I give up, as it's not worth pulling a dead horse.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 03:23 AM »
Windows 2000 will only accept third party drivers from a floppy drive, unless you pre-build it into the CD image. I see no tools around which handle Windows 2000 and integration like that.

The process for obtaining your sata drivers is to visit your motherboard manufacturers website and seeing if they offer a Windows 2000 driver. Again, this is your MOTHERBOARD manufacturers website, not your HARD DISK manufacturers website.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:56 AM »
If memory serves me right, nLite will allow you to create a new setup disk that includes the drivers you have downloaded for your motherboard. Personally I build several WinXP discs like that and it works like a charm.

That program is powerful and allows you to set a lot of things. Don't do that unless you know what you are doing. Their forum and FAQ are quite helpful. Its default settings are set so it doesn't change anything and you have to enable the sections that will allow for the changes. Practically foolproof...

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:12 PM »
I build several WinXP discs like that
Yeah, XP would be no problem, but the OP is talking about Windows 2000, and I guess he'd better stay away from that misery :-\
AFAICS, nLite doesn't support Win 2000. Should have checked better, it does support Win 2000. :-[
But my opinion doesn't change:
Thy should not use Windows 2000 for general purpose computing in these days of internet threats that require a secure OS and proper security measures.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:23 PM by Ath, Reason: Corrected wrong assumption »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 02:41 PM »
I agree with Ath.

Having said so, it is possible to properly wall off Windows 2000. As a result it isn't the friendly OS Hulkbuster remembers anymore, rendering the OS useless for the web. 

However, when it is installed on a standalone PC (or virtual machine with networking disabled), I don't see as much issues as Ath does.

Then again, nostalgia about the OS may have colored my opinion too rosy...