ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone have an old mac mini or macbook with intel chip they want to give me?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Eóin:
The one I tried lacked 3d card support so it really wasn't usable. Maybe there is a way to enable it with VirtualBox, or perhaps VMWare but I would consider it a necessiaty for any real use.

Dual booting a hackintosh however seems to be quite workable from what I'd read, though I never tried it first hand.

jgpaiva:
Mouser: My experience with VMs is that since the introduction of processor virtualization, things have improved greatly. I frequently use Windows XP as a VM in my mac (which is not a powerful machine, as macs tend not to be), and it runs well. It does however take a considerable amount of RAM, which may be a problem.

PS: I just remembered that a friend of mine used to have an XP machine always downloading stuff through uTorrent in the background while he used the mac, and he was able to do pretty much everything he wanted with it.

mouser:
Windows runs fast enough in a windows host vmware.. my experience was with trying to run mac osx inside a windows host vmware install -- and that was too slow.  but maybe things have improved.

jgpaiva:
Sorry, what I meant is that FWIW, it works the other way around pretty decently (XP guest in mac host).

daddydave:
gasp.. i know it's heresy but I was thinking of tinkering with some mac programming, just for the fun of it. 
-mouser (June 23, 2011, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmmm....can an advanced alternative to Spotlight for iOS be "FARR" away?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version