ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone have an old mac mini or macbook with intel chip they want to give me?

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
gasp.. i know it's heresy but I was thinking of tinkering with some mac programming, just for the fun of it.  a friend gave me an old mac laptop with broken keyboard but it turns out that you can't use recent mac development tools on mac's built using powerpc chips.  hence the request for mac's with INTEL chips.

i already have keyboard, mouse, monitor.. so an old mac mini  would be ideal.

if anyone has one just sitting in the closet (with an intel chip! -- usually core 2 duo), i would be very grateful for it.

Renegade:
If you can deal with being forced to use MVC and Objective-C and using Xcode, you'll like it.

Good luck with the adventure~! :)

(I threw out an iMac a while back, but I think that was a PowerPC chip... Still, shipping would have cost more than it was worth.)

Eóin:
I've had the same thoughts recently as I'm writing a mobile app and want to support Android and iPhones. Eventually I settled on Marmalade (then known as Airplay SDK) with which I can develop on Windows.

Before that though, and more relevant to what your talking anout, I did setup a Hackintosh in VirtualBox just to see what the Mac is like. It's something I would recommend before spending cash. Obviously the legality is dubious, but then it's not something you would ever use, it really is just to test the waters.

argv:
Would a virtual machine (vmware) with Mac OSX 10.6.2 installed do the job?

mouser:
thanks for the offer argv, but i can probably install a vmware/virtualbox osx guest myself if i decide to go that way.. perhaps i should.. maybe spending $200 on a faster cpu to run a virtual machine is a smarter expenditure than $200 on a mac mini.  are the virtual machine osx installs fast enough to be useable? i remember trying this a couple of years ago and concluding that the osx install on vmware was not fast enough to be really useable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version