ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is Mozilla trying to do?

<< < (5/11) > >>

Deozaan:
I assume they'll slow down with the new numbers when they get to number 10 (or whatever Chrome is at). Then they'll update as often as Chrome does after that. (They aren't chasing anyone else are they?)
-nudone (July 13, 2011, 01:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Chrome is at v. 12 now.

But the reason why Chrome's version number doesn't matter is because they don't make big announcements for every update. Chrome just silently updates itself and you have the latest version and if there's a big new feature Chrome will let you know or Google will post a blog about it.

Google doesn't hype the version numbers. They hype new features.

Firefox (and others) hype new version numbers and then list the features.

nudone:
Good point. I didn't think of it like that.

In that case; I do find it very annoying and mindless how this version number boasting has become the norm.

Carol Haynes:
FF has gone up tiny increments for years - they now look like they are behind with version numbers.

Personally I don't care what the version number is but Mozilla now seem to think changing the version number itself counts for a full version bump. Presumably so they catch up with IE and Google and ....

phitsc:
The main annoying thing about increasing FF version numbers is the plugin compatibility problem.

Carol Haynes:
Just bump the version number in the addon manually or use a tool that allows you to install it anyway. I have only ever found a couple of addons that actually didn't work when a FF update is released. If the worst hasppens and it doesn't work you can always disable it until an update appears.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version