ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is Mozilla trying to do?

<< < (3/11) > >>

rgdot:
Google re-invented versioning just because they could, everybody is entitled to agree with what is said in the links TheQwerty provided and I am not exactly qualified to disagree. But to me it's first and foremost google doing things just because they can.

40hz:
FWIW I find myself using Opera quite a bit more than previously. Especially if I'm in a forum or other site where I'm doing a lot of page hopping or text entry. It just seems faster and lighter than Firefox.

I really don't care for FF4, so I'm hoping Mozilla gets its act together a little bit better for FF5. Because I've already abandoned Mozilla Thunderbird for e-mail because of what they did with the latest incarnation. And I'd really hate to also have to go shopping for a new default browser. Especially since, as daddydave mentioned previously, Mozilla's add-ons and extensions do seem to be much better done than anything coming from the competition.

Fingers crossed. :huh:

cmpm:
After I updated to 5, I found that some incompatible add-ons were not needed because the function was already there in 5. Working with tabs mostly.

This add-on helped me make a more informed decision on what to keep.
It will show you which ones that show as 'incompatible' initially, actually still work.
And that was quite a few that still work.

But you have to add this add-on to see it or FF auto disables them.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/?src=api

It will give you the choice of disabling the incompatible ones instead of auto killing it.

Deozaan:
The only difference I see is the way they assign numbers to new versions. Browsers and other applications could be updated quarterly or sooner for years before Chrome started doing it, and we loved it because it meant the software was actively developed, but the software author(s) would (rightly) consider it a minor version upgrade and just go from e.g. 3.6 to 3.7.

Even with Firefox, going from 3.6 to 3.7 could break some of your add-ons, so, again, I don't see any difference between going from 3.6 to 3.7 or from 3.6 to 4.0 or from 4.0 to 5.0 with some add-on compatibility problems. It's all the same to me.

So, to reiterate: As far as I can tell, the only difference I see is that they changed the way the numbers change when they update the browser. Though, to be clear, perhaps I should say that I do think that 3.6 to 4.0 was indeed a major update.

Shades:
Firefox 5 did not break 'NoScript', 'Zotero' and 'DownThemAll' plugins, so it is ok by me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version