ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Bvckup 2

<< < (12/13) > >>

tomos:
Apologies for not replying sooner. I was pushing out the major website redesign.-apankrat (January 28, 2013, 04:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

very nice :Thmbsup: :D

f0dder:
Apologies for not replying sooner. I was pushing out the major website redesign.-apankrat (January 28, 2013, 04:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
No problem - I've been slow/distracted myself. Nice and simple web design - I personally find it slightly annoying that the 'features' text fades in after waiting for the features-text-are has expanded, but that's a minor quibble :). Also, the outline and bgcolor-change (I think?) effect on your buttons is very subtle - having the browser on my secondary TFT, at first I wasn't sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me :P

Btw, "Cache-aware reading" - are there actually any APIs or IOCTLs you can use to determine whether a file is cached? Or are you simply using FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING all the time? :)

Also, if I find a way to automate the cold-cache testing (suggestions would be very welcome!)
--- End quote ---
I think the key to unlocking this problem is called shutdown.exe :)
-apankrat (January 28, 2013, 04:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, I'd want something entirely automated - boot, auto-login and perform test, reboot, advance to next test et cetera. I'm not going to do 512 boots unless it's something 100% automated the machine can perform while I'm at work :P (sure, could probably be handed by being pretty creative with batch files, but... ugh.)

Another thing was that NOT using FindExLargeFetch in warm-cache scenario results in 20-30% speed up (from 1000 ms to 800 ms). I added a command-line argument to control this in more recent versions of bvckup2-demo2.exe-apankrat (January 28, 2013, 04:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Iirc I did the test with the version supporting this switch, but since it wasn't documented I didn't think to include it - what's it do?

apankrat:
very nice :Thmbsup: :D-tomos (January 28, 2013, 06:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks.

apankrat:
Btw, "Cache-aware reading" - are there actually any APIs or IOCTLs you can use to determine whether a file is cached? Or are you simply using FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING all the time? smiley-f0dder
--- End quote ---

Let me push the beta out first, I will elaborate then. It's a bit more complicated that FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING, but there are not IOCTLs involved. If you think about it, you should be able to figure it out ;)

Iirc I did the test with the version supporting this switch, but since it wasn't documented I didn't think to include it - what's it do?-f0dder
--- End quote ---

I should've updated the post with -? dump, shouldn't I?

--- ---Syntax: bvckup2-demo2.exe [-t <threads>] [-v | -q] location-to-scan

-t   number of threads to use
  -v   verbose, dump API timing profile
  -q   quiet, print only final timing

--breadth-first    scan siblings then children
  --no-large-fetch   do NOT use FindExLargeFetch
  --no-info-basic    do NOT use FindExInfoBasic, use FindExInfoStandard instead

Thread count defaults to the number of CPU cores if not specified.
The default is to scan depth first (children, then siblings), use FIND_FIRST_EX_LARGE_FETCH and ask only for FindExInfoBasic. The last three keys on the command-line list allow overriding these.

Based on my experiments the fastest way to scan a warm cache is to first scan the location with FindExInfoStandard and then scan with FindExInfoBasic, without LargeFetch and depth first. In my case, it cut down the scanning time from ~1000 ms to ~ 700 ms, which is significant. But that's just for the warm cache. For the cold cache the above defaults appear to be the best.

apankrat:
This DNF of backup software is going beta next week.

I thought I'd let you guys know as I would love a good teardown :)

Some work-in-progress screenshots and whatnots are over at http://bvckup2.com/wip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version