ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Bvckup 2

<< < (5/13) > >>

worstje:
In particular, had I not known that the site actually had content, for example if I got there from a software listing site's "developer website" link, I would have left when I saw the first screen, thinking it was still in development and the entry screen was a placeholder for the new site.
-jgpaiva (June 29, 2011, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Technically, all it is right now is an announcement of the next version. By all means, it is in development, it is a sort-of placeholder/announcement thing, and it is new. So by that logic, as things stand now, it is sort of on point. But it is a product apankrat is announcing; not the website itself, so in that case it is still the wrong design (in my opinion, anyway).

apankrat:
Ok, you're going to hate me for that, but here is another remark : I have a very wide screen (nowadays standard unfortunately), and the "More" is too far on the right, while my attention is on the center/bottom of the screen.  I might have missed it if I were not looking for it.  What about placing the "more" just below "coming this fall".  BTW, how did the guy on reddit got hand on V2 ???
-MerleOne (June 29, 2011, 02:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ok, fair point, not hating :) Placed it now 480px off center of the page. Any better?

johnk:
I'm a fan of v1 of Bvckup and I took part in the testing and gave feedback in the Bvckup forums. So it pains me to say this, but I don't like the new web site.

Others have said it, but if you didn't already know Bvckup, you would assume from the web site that it's a Mac program. I would take one look at the page (without scrolling) and close it.

I find I do this all the time. I read about an interesting program, click the link to it, and then can instantly tell from the design of the web site that it's a Mac-only program, and I close the page. I'm sure I can't be the only one who does this.

This is not touchy-feely branding nonsense, it's basic design. There is a Mac look. Your site has it.

And the scrolling thing is a terrible idea. Design should never come before content.

Sorry, apankrat, you know I'm a fan of the program, but I really think for your own sake you need to reconsider. You've spent a long time on this design, you're very close to it. Take a step back.

Deozaan:
I dunno. I kinda like it. It doesn't really seem Apple/Mac to me as much as it seems the kind of clean and simple design of Web 2.0 or HTML5 if Web 2.0 seems too outdated a term.

For a teaser site, I think it's good. Though if that was the final product website (when it was released) then I might find it lacking in content.

Though I am left wondering why you don't just put the "More" link in the same place as the "Info" link. Right in the center, so the user's mouse is already hovering over it when they click the first time. That seems logical to me.

If you're like me, and don't normally run the browser full screen, but still have it fairly large, then the More link is still really far off to the side. See my screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/AQEe9.jpg

nudone:
I agree with Deozaan. My first reaction was "html5, css3, responsive, etc., etc." I've not looked underneath to see if it is.

After the "apple" comments I now see that too. Overall, I think I still see the site as a nice subdued single page site rather than an apple site. But I admit, I'm sure it's because I never really see an apple site and see plenty of single page portfolio sites.

(I know the site isn't a responsive design, it just looks like it should be.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version