ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Compressing Outlook-Datafiles (PST) for free without Outlook?

<< < (2/2)

Sascha:
Ok, the problem is that I included the PST-Files before the admin disabled the using of these files by group policies ;)
Therefore I am able to 'work' with these files (add / remove emails) but I am not able to use any of the functions that are related to the menu-items e.g. compress or create a new file.

Due to the exchange servers 100MB quota I move every mail to one of thes PST-Files and remove the attachments with 'Outlook Attachment Sniffer'....

Ath:
If you shut down Outlook, copy the pst file(s) to an USB stick/drive, burn on DVD or copy over the network to some transportable medium, take them home with you and compress them on your home-PC (using a local copy of outlook), then take em back in the opposite direction. Wouldn't that work for you?

Stoic Joker:
I included the PST-Files before the admin disabled the using of these files-Sascha (June 20, 2011, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Meaning it's listed in Account Settings as a seperate secondary storage location? Or did you just do import .pst file from the file menu?

If you did an import then it was actually just streamed into your Exchange mailbox. If it's a secondary storage location them you're at the Admin's mercy as to what can be done with it.

It possible depending on how it was done that you just need to right click-properties on the right Personal Files Folder parent to get to the compaction function for that file. I bring this up because I'm running Outlook 2010 with Exchange and have caching disabled. And the compaction functions are disabled on my machine when I go into properties. Being that I am the Admin I have access to everything ... So I do believe it's safe to assume that these are just/only disabled by Outlook due to there not being enabled/relevent.

Sascha:
If it's a secondary storage location them you're at the Admin's mercy as to what can be done with it.-Stoic Joker (June 20, 2011, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
It is ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version